hiking after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so Im looking to do 1 dive 40 mins at 10 meters at 9am then i will be hiking to 1700 meters about 5 hours later that day. Does anyone have a table showing the exact time or any information on this topic.
I have found this info and seems like it is ver good and states in a table that after my dive i will be in group G and hike to 1700 meters ill be able to after 5 hours.

Yes i know its safer to wait the recommend 12 hours but in this case it is impossible.

Any info would be great thanks.

Thanks

@boulderjohn had some information on diving and driving to altitude on a thread before. Not sure about hiking (generally not a good idea as exercise after diving is not advised).

Of course, it's not recommended you excersise after diving, but if you're looking at doing just a single 40 min dive at 30+ feet, then going hiking five hours later.........(assuming no residual N2 from previous days) I wouldn't worry about it, at all.

Reactions: yle
What is your start elevation for the hike? Is your total elev gain 1700m? If so that is some hike and regardless of tables I would not combine a dive in the morning with the hike later in the day.

Of course, it's not recommended you excersise after diving, but if you're looking at doing just a single 40 min dive at 30+ feet, then going hiking five hours later.........(assuming no residual N2 from previous days) I wouldn't worry about it, at all.
It isn't clear from the OP whether the start of the hike is at sea level and whether it starts 5hrs later or he will be at 1700m (5600ft) 5 hours later (starting a hike to that height at 2-3pm seems a bit late imho). If it was a flat walk I might be happier in saying it would be ok but 1700m of vertical rise is quite a hike.

There are enough question marks about the situation to make me uneasy about saying it will be fine.

Ok so Im looking to do 1 dive 40 mins at 10 meters at 9am then i will be hiking to 1700 meters about 5 hours later that day. Does anyone have a table showing the exact time or any information on this topic.
I have found this info and seems like it is ver good and states in a table that after my dive i will be in group G

And 2 hours later you'll be back to group A. So after 5 hours you'll be... off the table.

and hike to 1700 meters ill be able to after 5 hours.

As others have already pointed out, you really have two separate questions:

1. Will the physical exertion of the hike a create an elevated risk of DCS?

2. Will the decrease of ambient pressure due to the elevation create an elevated risk of DCS?

Two separate issues, but the simple answer is "yes" for both. How great will either of these increase your risk? For the first, you haven't given us enough information. Only you know, at this point, how strenuous this hike will be. For the second, considering the dive profile and your five hour interval, I would be very surprised if anyone could reasonably claim the increase in risk is statistically significant.

Yes i know its safer to wait the recommend 12 hours but in this case it is impossible.

If waiting 12 hours is not possible, then skipping the hike is also likely not possible. So you have to go with what is possible.

I am a passenger in a car right now, and I don’t have time to look up in detail. I wrote an extended statement about ascending to altitude after diving in the Rocky Mountain region forum. It is a sticky thread, so it is right at the top. You will have a hard time finding anyone giving you a good, definitive answer, because it is never been studied. I would not worry about the exercise personally.

I am a passenger in a car right now, and I don’t have time to look up in detail. I wrote an extended statement about ascending to altitude after diving in the Rocky Mountain region forum. It is a sticky thread, so it is right at the top. You will have a hard time finding anyone giving you a good, definitive answer, because it is never been studied. I would not worry about the exercise personally.
Here is the thread:
Ascent To Altitude From Santa Rosa

Ok thanks so much for the advise just to clear up. The dive is at sea level and it's max 30mins at 10meters because it's a shore dive. There is a drive to the start of the hike which is 900 meters which we will start the hike 4 hours after. Then the hike is medium to easy and

Does threading water after a shore dive count as hiking? It's certainly more exhausting... if so, I've been there.

The pressure drop from your hike will be just 20%. Effectively, it's as if your dive was to 15 meters rather than 10 - 0.8/(1+1)=1/(1+1.5). This adjustment accounts for all of the decrease in ambient pressure.
With that adjustment, the dive you're doing is still a joke in terms of N2 loading. 40 minutes at 15m is something you can do thrice a day.

All in all, don't worry about it. You're in more danger from exertion while ending the dive than from the hike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom