Hips Boobs and ALL..... :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I know there are tons of posts on women's BCs. I have been searching and reading. But wanted some direct input.

I am 5'3" (if I stand REALLY tall) :) With a very WELL padded hips and chest. I have a VERY short back (formal clothes have to be taken in in the back!) and very narrow shoulders.

We (husband and I) are trying to find a BC for me that will actually fit. I think I will always have to dive with 80's because the 100's are just too dang long... they bonk me in the head! And I find that (probably becuase of all my bouyant padding) BCs fit very differently on the surface than in the water. I have been wearing a Seaquest medium something for my AOW class. Standing up, I have to open the chest and waist straps to their absolute biggest... suck it all in as tight as I can and strap in. But, once I'm in the water, my hubby comes and cinches up my floating away BC.

I know the best thing is to try them on (which I will) but I would also love some input from any women with a potentially similar build or just opinions to share. My hubby is quite intrigued with the Zeagle Zena... but we're open to suggestions. Thanks all!!!

(Getting wet in 8 days!!!!!!!)

Amy,

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to send you in any specific direction!

But there is an answer out there that might take away a lot of the discomfort in diving that you're used to.

In terms of BC, here's one that is guaranteed to fit:
http://www.halcyon.net/

Its a back inflate bladder on a plate (to which padding may be added if you choose). See those 2 straps? They come over your shoulders and then disappear beneath your arms back to the plate. There is no pressure on your chest or your sides when the bladder is inflated, so your front isn't squeezed like with many wrap-around BCs.

With respect to tanks..., take a look at these numbers:
http://www.omsdive.com/cyl_spec.html
and
http://www.omsdive.com/cylinder.html

For many years I dove with a set of small double aluminum 50 tanks. They weighed not much more than an aluminum 80, but held more air. The reason I'd recommend you look at steel tanks is because they offer you more desirable weight characteristics - i.e. with steel tanks plus the 6lb backplate against your back you remove much of the heavy weight from the belt that otherwise rubs and chafes against your hips.

And, with respect to the second site - look again at that small set of 45s. They are only 5 1/2" in diameter, and only 23" high. So, they put nearly 90 cu ft of gas into a package that won't bop you in the back of the head, nor slam against your butt or lower back like an 80 does. There is a great deal to be said in favor of small sets of steel doubles for short women.

If you only want a single tank, look at the steel 66. Its height to weight ratio is still good for a woman your size.

Recognizing that "labels get applied", and that some people find it difficult to see past the labels, but -
* The straps on that BC are infinitely adjustable. It can be made to fit you perfectly.
* No pressure on boobs or sides. All the bladder is on your back. (If you get the double 45s, you simply get a slightly wider bladder, but it works exactly the same.)
* No heavy weightbelt to handle. Much weight is in the tanks and backplate. Some weight will still be on your belt, but not nearly as much.
* 90 cu ft of gas should keep a woman your size in the water as long as the biggest guy.
* But that gas will be in a small set of doubles that balances well underwater, and won't bop you in the head or the butt while you're moving around - either in the water or on the boat - or climbing back onto the darned boat from the water! :)

Just a thought. I think something like this would work well for you... If you want to look past the labels.

Hope this helps,

Doc

I'm sixty two inches tall and of ample proportions. I've logged sixtysomething dives since getting certified at the very end of May. I ADORE my Zena. I love how it fits, how it's adjustable at hips and waist, how it zips in the front, how it looks and how it feels feminine. That said, I think I regret not going the back plate and wings route.

Enjoy!

Paula

MsParamedic:
I would suggest the Sequest Diva...Im all hips and short torsoed...and I LOVE mine!

I LOVE mine too :07: (I got the luxury version)
girl in my club loves hers as well

waist adjustable, sports bra thing rather than chest strap, very comfy, integrated but releasable and non-releasable weight pouches so no more weights on hips, mostly wing/back inflatable with a little bit of side inflation so no more feeling claustrophobic before entering the water, metal d-rings, loads of pockets, self-adjusting lumbar support

love love love it

http://www.oceanenterprises.com/GSA/html's/BCD's/Diva.htm

edit: forgot to mention that the diva also has a cinching waist strap that is easy to use, for once you get underwater - very useful!

Doc Intrepid:
Amy,

....snip....
Doc

LOL.....well I, for one, don't believe it but I did have exactly the same thought :)

Amy, take this advice seriously. It might be just the solution you're looking for as long as the backplate isn't too long. The idea of twin 50cf/7-litre) bottles might be just the ticket for taking extra air (or whatever) too.

If you're set on one bottle then you can look at a stubby 12-litre tank (that's about a 90cf) which is short and fat so it won't hit you in the head or butt and it holds a little more air than an AL 80. I don't know if the stubby 12's are available in aluminium but you can get them is steel which is probably better for most every day applications anyway.

R..

Yep, what Doc I and Diver0001 said.

A buddy I sometimes dive with is built as you describe, though I think she's not as tall as you. She used to use a couple of different BC's. She recently switched to a standard BP with a one piece harness. That was the ticket!

If you have a really short torso, I think FredT makes a shorter plate. A search on this board should turn up more info on that.

Another thing - my short statured buddy likes her HP 80's 'cause they're short. SHe also does fine with the PST E8 100's (same size as a LP steel 80).

Doc Intrepid:
Amy,

But there is an answer out there that might take away a lot of the discomfort in diving that you're used to.

In terms of BC, here's one that is guaranteed to fit:
http://www.halcyon.net/

Its a back inflate bladder on a plate (to which padding may be added if you choose). See those 2 straps? They come over your shoulders and then disappear beneath your arms back to the plate. There is no pressure on your chest or your sides when the bladder is inflated, so your front isn't squeezed like with many wrap-around BCs.

With respect to tanks..., take a look at these numbers:
http://www.omsdive.com/cyl_spec.html
and
http://www.omsdive.com/cylinder.html

For many years I dove with a set of small double aluminum 50 tanks. They weighed not much more than an aluminum 80, but held more air. The reason I'd recommend you look at steel tanks is because they offer you more desirable weight characteristics - i.e. with steel tanks plus the 6lb backplate against your back you remove much of the heavy weight from the belt that otherwise rubs and chafes against your hips.

And, with respect to the second site - look again at that small set of 45s. They are only 5 1/2" in diameter, and only 23" high. So, they put nearly 90 cu ft of gas into a package that won't bop you in the back of the head, nor slam against your butt or lower back like an 80 does. There is a great deal to be said in favor of small sets of steel doubles for short women.

If you only want a single tank, look at the steel 66. Its height to weight ratio is still good for a woman your size.

Recognizing that "labels get applied", and that some people find it difficult to see past the labels, but -
* The straps on that BC are infinitely adjustable. It can be made to fit you perfectly.
* No pressure on boobs or sides. All the bladder is on your back. (If you get the double 45s, you simply get a slightly wider bladder, but it works exactly the same.)
* No heavy weightbelt to handle. Much weight is in the tanks and backplate. Some weight will still be on your belt, but not nearly as much.
* 90 cu ft of gas should keep a woman your size in the water as long as the biggest guy.
* But that gas will be in a small set of doubles that balances well underwater, and won't bop you in the head or the butt while you're moving around - either in the water or on the boat - or climbing back onto the darned boat from the water! :)

Just a thought. I think something like this would work well for you... If you want to look past the labels.

Hope this helps,

Doc
Doc has some good ideas but I would recommend www.oxycheq.com over H..

The products are more competitively priced, and I personally feel the quality(especially the signature series wings) is better than the one from H.. plus they offer several backplate sizes and offer padded straps with quick releases for those that want the confort.. Many H dealers I know have switched either completely to Oxycheq and if the are still an H dealer they are keeping it just for the people who must have the H logo...

If you want to stay with a single take a look at the A-pac from oxycheq, it can be ordered with or without integrated weight pockets, and fits like a harness. If you dont want releases the o-pac is a bargain..

lostinspace:
I LOVE mine too :07: (I got the luxury version)
girl in my club loves hers as well

love love love it

http://www.oceanenterprises.com/GSA/html's/BCD's/Diva.htm

Do you know if this BC is suitable for use with a dry suit?

I have a Zena and absolutely love it but it won't work with a dry suit. So I need to get a new one which I hope to love just as much...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tauchmieze

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom