Historic Logos, Decals, and Patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm not mistaken, this one was missing from the USN badges shown previously Salvage & Recovery diver.jpg
Salvage and Recovery diver.

If I'm not mistaken, this one was missing from the USN badges shown previouslyView attachment 583111
Salvage and Recovery diver.

I never seen that rating in the USN, but it could have been before my time. I vaguely remember pictures of similar patches from well before the 1970s but can't be sure. AFAIK, badges on uniforms weren't approved until the late 1960s or early 70s. Maybe someone that knows the answer can fill us in.

I never seen that rating in the USN, but it could have been before my time. I vaguely remember pictures of similar patches from well before the 1970s but can't be sure. AFAIK, badges on uniforms weren't approved until the late 1960s or early 70s. Maybe someone that knows the answer can fill us in.

I may have been wrong on the denomination, but according to Mark V. Lonsdale 'US Navy Diver' (p.34, chapter Navy Diver Classifications) the correct one should be 'Salvage Construction Demolition Diver' (NEC 5375).

I also remember reading something about "graduating as a Salvage Diver" in 'Reminiscences of Master Chief Boatswain’s Mate Carl M. Brashear' by Paul Stilwell (available from the Oral History files, Naval Institute, Annapolis). But here, I quote from memory, I'm 150km away from that book just right now.

I may have been wrong on the denomination, but according to Mark V. Lonsdale 'US Navy Diver' (p.34, chapter Navy Diver Classifications) the correct one should be 'Salvage Construction Demolition Diver' (NEC 5375).

It appears that it predates and postdates my time in the Navy, Navy NEC Codes—Naval Special Warfare / EOD / Diver
Navy Diving Community (ND)
5341 Master Diver (APPLIES TO: ND)
5342 Diver First Class (APPLIES TO: ND)
5343 Diver Second Class (APPLIES TO: ND)
5344 Submarine SCUBA Diver
5345 Scuba Diver
5348 Marine Mammal Systems Operator
5375 Salvage/Construction Demolition Diver (ND / Seabee)​

The NEC (Naval Enlisted Code) for saturation divers is gone now. I can't tell if the Salvage designation is a Seabee-only specialty now or not. A good part of First Class diving school (NEC 5342) was on salvage when I attended. Interesting, thanks.

No problem, that's what for a forum is for : exchanging info and ideas. But as far as I'm concerned, my answer isn't a definitive one, more an educated guess.

Weird to think this might now be considered 'historic'? It was only 1979...wait a sec, was that really over forty years ago?!
Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 11.20.34 AM.png

Weird to think this might now be considered 'historic'? It was only 1979...wait a sec, was that really over forty years ago?!
View attachment 583812

Know the feeling, man... Last summer, chatting with a buddy on the boat, interrupted by a youngster, asking candidly : who's the hell is Jacques Cousteau ? :confused: That brat wasn't even born when we started diving... :p

Know the feeling, man... Last summer, chatting with a buddy on the boat, interrupted by a youngster, asking candidly : who's the hell is Jacques Cousteau ? :confused: That brat wasn't even born when we started diving... :p

What?! Didn't know WHO Jacques Cousteau was?! That's really not ok...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom