History Channel Airing "Fatal Pressure" - re-enactment of Speigel Grove accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The History Channel is airing the re-enactment of the dive accident that paralysed Matthew DeVlieger in Dec 2009. I believe it is at 9 p.m. (possibly 10 p.m. EST) today. Sorry for the short notice but just found out. It is called "Fatal Pressure".

Last edited:
I don't see that anywhere.

on right now on History Channel.....calledn Underwater Universe....

I know the OP is in Toronto but the History channel is not showing anything even related to water right now :sad:....at least not on my satellite

I know the OP is in Toronto but the History channel is not showing anything even related to water right now :sad:....at least not on my satellite

yeah don't know...I'm watching it right now...

Technology must hate me......can't imagine why :hm:

Technology must hate me......can't imagine why :hm:

but the only thing....haven't seen anything on the Speigel Grove....this is more of a show on the effects of pressure on the human body....

I also can't see the program so I don't think it is airing in Canada. You are watching the right program & I see from the info below that it is the 4th story in the series - it sounds like they are all on tonight but perhaps not as it is a bit vague. I receive updates on Matthew from his CarePage site and this is what his mom said:

HISTORY CHANNEL MINI-SERIES INCLUDES MATTHEW
Posted 1 day ago
Tomorrow night, WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16, 2011, at 9pm, Matthew's story of his experience of becoming paralyzed as a result of scuba diving will be shown as part of the series "UNDERWATER UNIVERSE." This particular episode is entitled "FATAL PRESSURES," and is the 4th in the series.
Many people, if not most, have no idea that you can become paralyzed or dead as a result of the pressures endured during scuba diving. Although we have not seen the episode, we have been told that it focuses on the scientific principles and explanations surrounding this occurence. Supposedly they will be showing details of just exacly HOW the nitrogen bubbles effect the process of paralysis and death.
We have not seen the script. We have not seen a clip. We truly have no idea of what the final cut will portray. It will be a surprise to us Wednesday night when we view this program for the first time, along with you.
Our prayer, and the REASON we allowed Matthew's story to be reenacted was for the purpose of potentially helping others. Our desire is to raise awareness of the potential dangers for current and future scuba divers. Each year, far too many scuba divers die from pressures similar to what occured to Matthew. He was fortunate, as -- for some unknown reason, the paralysis stopped progressing up the spinal cord at the level of his heart and lung."

***Matthew, his twin brother & his dad are all in the reenactment.***

just tuned in..I hope its the right one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom