History of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curtis Dawson

Registered
Reaction score
What 5 books would you suggest to teach an introduction to the history of diving? The students would be adults so the curriculum should be informative and extensive.

A visit to the history of diving museum in Key Largo Florida. Here is a news report I did. Its in Urdu :(

History of Diving - YouTube

The Silent World by Jacques Cousteau

Stars Beneath the Sea by Trevor Norton

Then your students won't get the mistaken impression that scuba was invented by Lloyd Bridges in 1951

The Silent World by Jacques Cousteau

Stars Beneath the Sea by Trevor Norton

Then your students won't get the mistaken impression that scuba was invented by Lloyd Bridges in 1951

Then they will be under the mistaken impression that scuba was invented Jacques Cousteau.

If you are ever in the Great Pacific North Wet visit the Undersea Museum at Keyport Wa ( Torpedo Town USA) for a History of Torpedoes and Navy Diving.

The first two chapters of my book, SEALAB: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor, give a good overview (in my opinion!) of the physics and physiology involved along with a history of diving (Chapter 1 is available on my website and the first few pages of Chapter 2, which deals more with the history of diving, you can see on Amazon, fyi.)

The most comprehensive history of diving is arguably Deep Diving and Submarine Operations: A Manual for Deep Sea Divers and Compressed Air Workers, by Sir Robert Davis, now in a 9th edition. It's like a little encyclopedia of diving, filled with 600-plus pages of facts, illustrations and anecdotes and infused with some wry wit and humor. A much more concise but thorough history can be found in Robert C. Martin's The Deep-Sea Diver: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. As someone else mentioned in this thread, the U.S. Navy Diving Manual is a good source - well organized, clearly written and more readable than you might expect of a military "manual." And be sure to check out back issues of the Historical Diving Society USA's fine magazine, recently renamed The Journal of Diving History. The special issue on Jacques Cousteau, for example, is well worth a read.

Also, an earlier Scubaboard thread that asked for "essential scuba related nonfiction" got a lot of good suggestions that someone compiled into a list within the thread, as you should be able to see here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/book-media-reviews/443924-essential-scuba-related-nonfiction-3.html

Hope this info helps. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom