History of YKK plastic dry suit zipper problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure when my teeth started to rotate…I didn’t think too much at the time since I wasn’t having problems. Then, I kept having small leaks and could never determine the cause since it did not leak consistently or every dive. I eventually was convinced it was my neck seal and had it replaced without a test. Shortly thereafter, I surfaced from a dive with my abdomen completely soaked through. While drying for dive 2, I found the missing tooth. Duct tape was 50/50 for my next 4 dives before turning my suit in for repairs.

FWIW, Halcyon facility installed another TiZip. The pull looks slightly different so I’m guessing it’s a new generation.

My Santi E-Lite is 4 years old and has 180 dives on it. I noticed one of those rotating teeth mid-zipper. It's not leaking from there yet, but I'm concerned. I don't know what's a reasonable expectation for zipper life.

I don't know exactly what a reasonable expectation for zipper life is either, but I would hope/expect that the zipper will outlast the original neck and wrist seals on my drysuit as long as I don't subject it to neglect/abuse.

-Z

While I can say for sure but looking at my TiZip I would have to guess that for the tooth to rotate you would have to have kinked the zipper and broken it first
6A5E6238-6F14-4580-86F3-C6A4F7162ACF.jpeg
93144FD8-80BB-4148-A947-430F346E98A5.jpeg

I don’t baby my suit or the zipper, I only add a wipe of silicone grease to the docking area if I feel a little binding or if I happen to think of it. I always try to transport it with the zipper mostly closed, I have no idea of exactly when I had this put on the suit or how many dives it has (a lot) but it’s been perfect, so much better than the brass zipper the proceeded it. I will alway go for the plastic zip if it’s an option.

I don't know exactly what a reasonable expectation for zipper life is either, but I would hope/expect that the zipper will outlast the original neck and wrist seals on my drysuit as long as I don't subject it to neglect/abuse.

-Z
My suit had a latex neck seal which was replaced with a Si Tech quick neck after about 2 years. The original wrist seals are Santi Smart seals and I replaced one set of latex seals. They are still intact but I use dry gloves so I don't know if they are stretched enough to leak. So by that metric my zipper has lasted. :)

@lexvil
I am fairly careful with the zipper. I transport it closed with the suit in the Santi bag, rolled up. I do leave it open on a hanger (one of the ones that hangs it by the boots) to dry out, sometimes that's 1 day and sometimes it's a couple of days. I then store it zipped and rolled up. I don't lube it often, just when it seems to get a little more resistant to zipping and unzipping. I usually don't unzip on the boat between dives. I noticed that tooth wiggling side to side a few dives ago. It isn't leaking there right now but I assume that's not good... I just hope it doesn't go when I'm on a trip (like my upcoming Cave class). At home I have 2 drysuits. The Santi is the one I was planning to take to Cave...

My suit had a latex neck seal which was replaced with a Si Tech quick neck after about 2 years. The original wrist seals are Santi Smart seals and I replaced one set of latex seals. They are still intact but I use dry gloves so I don't know if they are stretched enough to leak. So by that metric my zipper has lasted. :)

@lexvil
I am fairly careful with the zipper. I transport it closed with the suit in the Santi bag, rolled up. I do leave it open on a hanger (one of the ones that hangs it by the boots) to dry out, sometimes that's 1 day and sometimes it's a couple of days. I then store it zipped and rolled up. I don't lube it often, just when it seems to get a little more resistant to zipping and unzipping. I usually don't unzip on the boat between dives. I noticed that tooth wiggling side to side a few dives ago. It isn't leaking there right now but I assume that's not good... I just hope it doesn't go when I'm on a trip (like my upcoming Cave class). At home I have 2 drysuits. The Santi is the one I was planning to take to Cave...
Is yours a YKK? This may be some difference in construction between YKK and TiZip?? I don’t have any personal experience with the YKK so I don’t know how they are constructed, the Ti seems to have all of the teeth as a part of a central “ribbon” of material, one piece from the look of it but I could be wrong.

Is yours a YKK? This may be some difference in construction between YKK and TiZip?? I don’t have any personal experience with the YKK so I don’t know how they are constructed, the Ti seems to have all of the teeth as a part of a central “ribbon” of material, one piece from the look of it but I could be wrong.

Both my suits have plastic YKK zippers.

This is what mine looked like after half the tooth popped off. The opposing side came off after another two dives.

Attachments

• 1AD29299-99B8-4F10-B4D5-A31FB87E2601.jpeg
    1AD29299-99B8-4F10-B4D5-A31FB87E2601.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 111
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom