Hit the pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looped

Reaction score
# of dives
With mask, snorkel to practice breathing thru mouth etc etc. Found out I've been a nose breather my whole life :(. Gonna take some training to get over that problem.

I also had some issues with my mask sealing properly. It seemed to be fine in the shop, also seemed fine when I started the snorkel breathing. Seemed to get worse as the time went on. I dont know if I was breathing thru my nose and partially breaking the seal on exhale or not.

Think everyone at the pool thought I was a kook with my mask and snorkel just hanging out in water that I could stand up in and just squatting and practicing breathing, funny how wierd it is to make yourself breath under the water. Cant wait til I start my classes and get to breath underwater 'for real' :D

I see lots of pool time in my future before the classes start..

Just about everyone here started in a pool. Most of us needed to practice one skill or another too. Keep practicing, you'll get it.

They say " Practice makes perfect " :wink: ..... Don't give up !!!!

:14: And by the way , welcome to the board !!!:coffee:

I'm a nose breather myself.. I find if I pinch my nose for a breath or two it helps me to breath through my mouth.. then I can let go and continue to breath through just my mouth :wink: I think it's just a psychological thing.. but it works for me.. might work for you..

Takecare

Keep at it. You are doing yourself a world of good by dealing with this before class.

Pete

spectrum:
Keep at it. You are doing yourself a world of good by dealing with this before class.

Pete

Oh, it's been the thing that I KNOW I have to get over. I knew it was going to be a 'speedbump' for me, hence the working on it NOW, as opposed to then. I've got the whole winter to practice :D. Plus, I need to get into a little better shape, and nothing like working on the breathing for a while, then just hanging out in the pool and swimming, treading, walking whatever, working out and getting some workout time also.

As you get comfortable with the mask pull the fins on and start swimming laps in your skin-diving gear. Your legs will be cramp proofed before you hit class. Be sure to work on a nice full legged flutter kick for starters.

Pete

As others have said Practice Practice and ohhh yeah practice. You seem to have a great attitude/determination to get it. You will.

If the mask/breathing thing seems unnatural to you, welcome to the club. There isn't much about diving that is natural, it's all learned behavior. The first time I stood on the back of a dive boat over a seventy-foot deep ocean, I thought "why would someone jump into this water with about sixty pounds of steel strapped to them with nothing but a plastic bit in the mouths separating them from drowning?" But you get over it.

BTW, thanks to everyone for the tips, encouragement and the welcome. Great place :)

I'll keep the fins close by for down the road some. Cant wait to get the looks when I break those out lol.. I was asking today at the rec center I'm a member of if they allow scuba gear (which I can understand NOT allowing, as they are used to looking at moving people, not people staying underwater for minutes on end) and they looked at me like I had 3 arms when I mentioned something about scuba. Oh well, their loss, hopefully my gain, and membership into the 'cool kids club' :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom