Hiya!! I'm looking for cheap and good places to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive doll

Reaction score
:thumb:

Hiya!! I'm new to this message board. Wonder if anyone can give can advise on places for budget travellers and wonderful dive sites?

welcome to the boards! Hope to see you around more.

As for as dive spots, I have found that there are a lot of good dive spots right around my home (within three or four hours even) that are really amazing! I suppose that all depends on where you're from, but it might be worth looking into!:)

Kayla:)

;-0 goosh!!! I'm too far away!! I'm from Singapore!!

I hear Utila off the coast of Mexico has the cheapest diving in all of south/central america. I am supposed to be meeting up with a buddy of mine in August/Sept-ish. We are both from Vancouver and really looking forward to some tropical diving. It'll be a first for both of us.
From what he tells me, Utila is supposed to have dirt cheap rentals, and boat chaters along with really kick ass dive sites. Talk is cheap, proof is in the pudding. You can bet for sure I will be posting a few threads about it after I return.

In support of what Kayla said earlier. My dive club is still raving about the wonderful Keystone Park site just inside the Washington state border. Shallow dive(less than 60 ft) but just teaming with life. Our instructor saw 5 ocotopus among tons of other neat little critters. There are even photogs that travel up from LA, San Diego area due to the amazing life at Keystone. I think that says a lot in itself.
Now, ifn' yer willing to go a little further north to BC, Canada, you are in the realm of some of the best cold water diving in the world. LOTS of wrecks to dive, no penetration necessary to appreciate them. Amazing current dives can be found all over Vancouver Island and lots of smaller islands, Port Hardy, etc. Great charters up here to.
All the best,

Phuket or Malaysia are well within reach from Singapore, I think there is a direct flight to Phuket.

I don't like the island in itself (Patong is to be avoided at all costs), but the diving is good and Thailand is cheap for lodging and eating, competition is high between diving centres so the prices are more or less the same all over the place.

you're in Singapore so plenty of beautiful and cheap diving within your reach I would say!

I snorkelled at the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia (I couldn't go scuba diving as the diving shop was still closed, it was just after the rain season!) and that was awesome!! Beautiful corals close to the beach so you wouldn't need a boat either (I am afraid that there's hardly any the coral left in 10 years or so if they let people snorkel and STAND on it as well though... arggghhh!!!!) I heard the diving at the Perhentian islands is wonderful there too. I don't know about the prices though...

Aren't there some beautiful islands closer to Singapore as well (on Penninsular Malaysian East Coast)? In my travel guide I marked Pulau Tioman as a good diving location. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to go there either... it is quite closer to Singapore so perhaps worth to check out!

Have fun!

Watersprite

PS. As Chiara said: Phuket is terribly touristy... there are some great diving trips leaving from Phuket though (not always the cheapest ones...). There seems to be plenty of competition between diving shops in Phuket so maybe you could even negotiate about the prices with them? I visited quite a few dive shops in Phuket to check out prices for trips and courses, so if you need addresses/websites, let me know!

I don't know how you'd get there, but back when I was flying in that area I saw literally hundreds of absolutely beautiful islands in the South China Sea near there, with what appeared to be gorgeous fringing reefs and no people. If I live long enough I'll sail the area.
And the Philippines, all 7000 of 'em, are just a hop, skip & jump from you! There are some great bargains in the PI.
Rick

I love thailand... I've been to Phi Phi island via Krabi just a mth ago and the place boomed after the show 'The Beach'. Due to tight schedule, I did only 2 dives :( but definitely 2 fruitful dives. Saw leopard shark during first dive and black tipped during second.

Personally, I find Thailand better than M'sia. But of cos in terms of $ and cents, m'sia is a cheaper option. Perhentian's a nice place to dive, but the journey from S'pore is too long (13hrs). Probably for you guys are used to long journey, you can travel the length of S'pore in just 45 mins, unless you go round and round (god knoes how long before you can clock 13hrs) :)

I think the 2 cheapest places, are Dayang and Redang, both have excellent waters, and lots to see. Prices are less than S$400 per person. Contact me if you need more details.

Cheers~

dive doll once bubbled...
;-0 goosh!!! I'm too far away!! I'm from Singapore!!

I love the pic in your profile!

I first saw it in my vet's office about three weeks ago. Of course the first thing I noticed was that the kitty had no octo or SPG.

And where is its buddy??

Kitty scuba education is in the dumps these days...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom