HMAS Adelaide Being Sunk 27th March On Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justice Garry Downes, the AAT's president, this morning in Sydney set down the matter for hearing on May 5 and 6, and if necessary May 7, after he yesterday stayed the operation of the permit, granted by Garrett under s19 of the Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act.

Gees I hope they dont let those damn whingers get their way ... i reckon they are the types who would protest whenever the weather changed!

copied from my post to the FB Adelaide support site ...
Hope you get this squared away , It will be a wonderful asset to the ocean, the community and to the divers that come to dive her ...

we have the 366ft destroyer HMCS Yukon among other ships in our Wreck Alley a couple of miles off shore and it's a wonderful & interesting dive site, (maybe even more so that it's laying on it's port side) attracting divers from all over and brings somewhere around 4 million to economy ... http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Yukon.htm

The case appears to be arguing that the ship hasn't been properly prepared - i.e. insulation oil (perhaps PHB's) leaking from electrical cables. Their aim however seems to be to prevent the ship being sunk at all, they don't appear to be an environment group - rather a protest group using an environmental issue to acheive their goal. Fingers crossed it gets sorted out as it should be a great drawcard and provide a boost to the local economy.

Hi Guys

The lecture at the marine centre went great last night.
There is a lot of support for the HMAS Adelaide being sunk and to be an artificial reef. The court case isn't the end just an annoying delay.

Sadly there is a lot of propaganda it seems going around. I must admit, who ever is giving misinformation and trying to scare people is doing a good job of it.
Ive had family in Avoca ring me saying they have heard propaganda about the lead leaking into the water and its going to go right near the kiddies pool etc. Which these things just are not true.
Im not sure how big the kiddies pool has gotten since Ive been there last but I don't think it is 1.8 km off shore.

They have environmentaly cleaned her and she is ready to go to be loved as a dive site, inject millions in the economy and create jobs.
Some people want to keep the coast small, and I respect that as I don't want it to become Sydney but considering the boats will leave from Terrigal and not Avoca, its not causing more traffic there etc.
Lord there are bulk carriers permanently moored off the coast now and that is the view of the water, so I don't think some small boats will make a difference.
It was fine when they thought it was off Terrigal and apparently they didn't care about the things there saying, eg pollutants, happening to Terrigal residents. Which will not happen to anyone as she has been cleaned.

It seems to be a few people who just don't want her there at all. It is not all Avoca residents its a small handful of people who live there.
There is a lot of scare mongering going around and propaganda it seems.

If anyone is on the coast today, 3 PM the skillion there is a rally for sinking the Adelaide.
Wear a blue shirt if you can.

If your near Harvey Norman and Domayne, the Rotary Club are having a sausage sizzle along with selling shirts that were made for the occasion. Already got mine. The radio stations are there too.

The biggest loser today besides the country getting this amazing dive site, the coast economy being held to ransom, small businesses on the coast losing so much, are the charity clubs like Rotary losing out, which means coast charities losing out.

So let me ask you guys, when she is sunk, will you dive her?

I've seen some wave model charts made by who knows who, that purports to show a permanent wave shadow on the beach caused by the ship :shakehead:
and ... Illustrations that show a huge ship a less than a 100 meters off shore looming over the beach :shakehead:

do what you can to refute and dispel these false *facts*
and please remind those that agree with the sinking that keeping a civil tongue will advance your cause far more than name calling will

So let me ask you guys, when she is sunk, will you dive her?
well, I don't know .. It's a kinda long drive from here :wink:

D_B

The boat will be 1.8 km off Avoca and 1.4 km off the Skillion which is Terrigal.

It is a sad thing this misinformation is going around, as it is scaring parents, who are just worried about there kids. And that is fair enough, so hopefully this rally will get the information that is correct out there to them so they know the truth.

Yes, and I posted such to those illistrations :)

If your ever out our way, come out with us and dive the Yukon, and the RubyE .. and if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll be sure to dive the Adelaide :D

The Rally @ the Skillion was a great success.
I estimate at least 500 people + turned up.
We had some great speakers who dispelled alot of wrongs that have been said about the environmental impact and I think that was extremely important.
We need people to know this is safe and it is. Safe to dive, safe in the water and not affecting the ocean we all swim in, surf in and dive in.
People are just concerned I think because there hearing all these mistruths and they just want to know they and their kids will be ok in the ocean, and that is a fair thing as everyone just wants their family safe and healthy.
She is clean, safe and not going to negatively affect peoples health.
We also learnt about the fact the wreck will help the ecology and I think maybe alot of people who have been weary of this because of the misinformation out there, were very happy and surprised to hear about.

Thanks D_B for posting to the other people about their stuff. Much appreciated.
I will certainly take you up on the offer of a dive next time I come to Los Angeles and head down to San Diego. Looking forward to it.
And mate if you make it out this way, drop me a line and ill take you diving on the Adelaide myself as your dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom