HOG 2nd on an Atomic Z2 1st Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KG Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking about picking up a HOG D1/Zenith and run it as an octo off of my Z2 1st stage. Would they be a viable match or should I stick to the same brand/model?

works fine, don't worry about it. The nominal IP is close enough and the Hog is a balanced second stage so it will adjust for any slightly differences.

Poseidon is really the only brand you have to be careful with since the Jetstream/Xstream run on an IP about 20psi lower than the rest of the world and the Cyklon runs about 20psi higher than the rest of the world. Everything else is all about the same. Not sure what the actual spec is for both of them, but they are all usually somewhere between 130-145 with most I see get tuned between 135-140

works fine, don't worry about it. The nominal IP is close enough and the Hog is a balanced second stage so it will adjust for any slightly differences.

Poseidon is really the only brand you have to be careful with since the Jetstream/Xstream run on an IP about 20psi lower than the rest of the world and the Cyklon runs about 20psi higher than the rest of the world. Everything else is all about the same. Not sure what the actual spec is for both of them, but they are all usually somewhere between 130-145 with most I see get tuned between 135-140

Good deal. Thanks, tbone.

Servicing the whole set together might be an issue unless your Atomic dealer is also a HOG dealer.

Servicing the whole set together might be an issue unless your Atomic dealer is also a HOG dealer.

Lucked out a bit in that department as a friend of mine has been servicing his HOGs for several years now; figured I could sweet-talk him into rolling mine in as well.

Worst case, I'll have to send them out and use my z2 octo in the meantime.

Why don't you want to use the z2 Octo?

Why don't you want to use the z2 Octo?

Due to the Automatic Flow Control (fantastic for the primary reg) the bungied octo tends to free flow now and again. While not a huge deal, but gets annoying/distracting sometimes.

That's why I wanted something with manual manipulation of the venturi effect aka Pre-dive/dive knob.

Turning in the knob doesn't help?

Personally I would just tune it a little to fix the free flow.

Unfortunately the knob offers a very fine amount of adjustment (at least on my reg) that doesn't seem to have much of an impact.

Weird. On my atomic I can notice a decent difference between the two extremes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom