HOG Equipment service class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tsand,

Getting back on track, how about more info about the class and servicing the regs. Have you serviced other regs before this class? How often do you think you will be doing service on Hog Regulators?
If it is 1 time per year or even 2 years, do you think all the training will have stuck and you will cruise through the service.

Take a guess on how long it will take you to do the service next time, I am sure during class is not a realistic time/effort estimate.

Chris,
Managing Web sites is a pain, We all would rather you keep your eyes on the prize and not be distracted with Web managment. As far as manuals and stuff, I looked after I read your post and could not find them I guess that means you got them ready, but the Web kid is not around now, How about attaching them to a post here in this thread, or a new thread, I could see it becoming a thread about "How I serviced my Hogs". PPL could add photo's of there service, If you include rights to re-use photo's in the first post perhaps it would help with the creation of paper materials/pdf's which could be used as part of the service manual, That you could make availible to all or just the students as you see fit of course.

What did you think about my idea of getting a service tools kit assembled. So guys like me could just pay for the tools rather then source them from 2-3 different places. I have many hobbies and tend to keep my tools for each hobby seperated, that does mean I have some duplicates, but all in all the duplicates are sometimes slightly better for each hobby, Some get beat around as it may not be a delicate hobby, while others are kept in new like condition as things are delicate.

Highflier

I said I wasn't going to come back, but highflier, your question is germane to the purpose I had for the thread.

I had no prior training in regulator service. I had "audited" someone doing a couple of ScubaPro regs in the past.

Between me and my husband, we have 19 regulators. We have replaced the majority of them with HOG regs. Even at an every two year service interval, I think I'll get enough experience doing them to remain in reasonable practice. The procedure has to be done carefully and in the correct order, but it doesn't require any specific dexterity or trained physical skill. I also have the advantage of having the class instructor 15 minutes from my house, and I know he would be more than happy to let me come over and do the first few in his garage, where I can turn to him for any questions I can't figure out on my own.

I think a service tools kit that you could buy at the time of the class is a fantastic idea. It would save someone like myself from sitting down with the list and having to go through the ScubaTools list, trying to match part numbers! On the other hand, I suspect a lot of people who would want to take a class like this probably own some portion of the tools on the list, so there might not be much demand for a kit.

Highflier -- TSandM and I are splitting our gear servicing. We now have 30+ tanks, 19 Hog 1st & 2nd stages and 13 first stages of various origins and 12 second stages also of various origins! (This doesn't incude the two double hose regulators that are for show.)

My job is now to be responsbile for the tank and valves and TSandM is responsible for the regs. Our plan (if we ever put it into practice) is to sell most of the non-Hog 1st and 2nd stages. Then she'll just have 1 reg set to do a month. And no, she had not done any but the most minor reg repair prior to the class.

I said I wasn't going to come back, but highflier, your question is germane to the purpose I had for the thread.

It would save someone like myself from sitting down with the list and having to go through the ScubaTools list, trying to match part numbers! On the other hand, I suspect a lot of people who would want to take a class like this probably own some portion of the tools on the list, so there might not be much demand for a kit.

I am partially responsible for the thread derail, Thus I wanted to be partially responsible for the re-rail. :)
Since I fall into the rec diver with a limited budget, Self service makes a lot of sense to me. I can budget 1 time expenses but with many hobbies, I can not afford to pay the guy for stuff like this year after year. I.E. I do my own winterization on the jetski's and have done a fair amount of the repairs also.

The nice thing about the tool kit would be in the class. I do not know if you ran into the situation where a job was different or harder based on a tool difference or lack of. But the idea of the same tool as the teacher sounded good to me. Not to mention the oh SH&T, I got the wrong tool from the internet order, or it was a cheap plastic tool that broke the second time I used it, wish I had bought a better one.

PS. Sounds like you have a ton of equipment, I myself plan on only servicing 2 units, unless I can find some local dive buddies (probable), that choose to have the smae regs as me. (now that is much less likely, only due to the fact they most likely would have their own gear before I meet them and may have different desires /budget for there gear.

Highflier

BTW, has anybody tried/modified a setup to use a jetski as a dive platform? Would really save on gasoline. My range is around 60 miles on a single tank.

Actually, I had quite a few of the tools before the class, but I used my instructor's tools during it, and he had some different versions that I liked much better (o-ring picks, for example) so I ordered them when the class was over.

Very nice report, thanks for posting. I would very much like to do this class at some point (we now have several HOG regs).

I wish we had a local instructor here. Doing it with someone flown in doesn't leave that support base for the inevitable questions and hands-on help someone new to reg servicing would want.

Rainer, do you have a local HOG dealer? If so, why not talk to him about going through the instructor certification process? Heaven knows, you guys have enough tech divers down there to make teaching the class a win for the dealer.

I wish we had a local instructor here. Doing it with someone flown in doesn't leave that support base for the inevitable questions and hands-on help someone new to reg servicing would want.

I'm in the same boat as you albeit on the opposite coast. I was talking to one of the LDS owners around Boston (Al at South Shore Divers) and he was thinking of picking up the HOG line and becoming an instructor for the service class. He was thinking of "renting" out the service bench at his shop for those people that took the class from him. I think this would be a great idea as it would still allow the user to service their regs but have access to a knowledgeable reg tech/instructor if they are rusty on the prodecures.

Actually, I had quite a few of the tools before the class, but I used my instructor's tools during it, and he had some different versions that I liked much better (o-ring picks, for example) so I ordered them when the class was over.

I was just looking at a few different O-ring picks online, and trying to decide which to buy. Can you describe which ones you liked (or what it was about them) so that I could look for them?

(Somewhere I read that someone liked Nylon/plastic over brass, but the only plastic ones I saw did not look "picky" enough.)

Sorry if this is too detailed within the larger subject.

Blue Sparkle

Back
Top Bottom