HOG Equipment service class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish we had a local instructor here. Doing it with someone flown in doesn't leave that support base for the inevitable questions and hands-on help someone new to reg servicing would want.
Although it's preferable to have someone with specific knowledge on HOG regs to answer questions, it certainly isn't necessary.
A perfectly workable solution would be to use "common sense" first, then consult the Vance Harlow book (which covers the vast majority of questions that pop into the heads of novice DIYers) and, if that doesn't solve the issue, make a post in the ScubaBoard DIY forum.

There's nothing special about HOG regs.
Troubleshooting would be conducted in the same way for other regs that share an identical design (Aqualung Legend, Zeagle, Apeks, certain Scubapro regs, etc.).

To be honest, a freely downloadable "official" reg repair manual, including up-close photos, detailed step-by-step overhaul instructions, helpful hints/warnings about pitfalls, torque specs, recommended tools, troubleshooting procedures, tuning instructions, and exploded parts diagram, would be very helpful to a novice DIYer. No need to bug an instructor, the manufacturer, or other reg repair techs when the necessary info is contained in one tidy little package accessible online to all HOG reg owners.

I was just looking at a few different O-ring picks online, and trying to decide which to buy. Can you describe which ones you liked (or what it was about them) so that I could look for them?

(Somewhere I read that someone liked Nylon/plastic over brass, but the only plastic ones I saw did not look "picky" enough.)
Personally, I like having 2 sets of o-ring picks: one made of stainless steel, the other made of brass. Don't know what TSandM will recommend.
No need to spend a lot on them. I bought a 3-pick brass set from Dive Gear Express for $13. I like using these particular picks when I want to protect against scratching a nearby sealing surface. The pick with a ball on the end is great for gently coaxing o-rings into position during installation.

I think I spent $3 or $4 on a 5-pick stainless steel set at Harbor Freight. Similar cheap sets can be purchased on Ebay. Stainless steel picks won't bend (like the brass ones) when you exert a lot of force on them. Just be careful that you don't injure yourself -- and make sure that your tetanus vaccination is current. :D

I would steer clear of plastic and nylon picks for reg repair. They have a tendency to snap and break (at least the ones that I've used).

Last edited:
actually that is why I had a special forum set up here on scubaboard for just that reason. It's a place where folks that have taken the class an dthe instructors (and me) can work together to address exactly that
Very nice report, thanks for posting. I would very much like to do this class at some point (we now have several HOG regs).

I wish we had a local instructor here. Doing it with someone flown in doesn't leave that support base for the inevitable questions and hands-on help someone new to reg servicing would want.

Last edited:
I had a fairly good selection of brass o-ring picks, but they were all fairly blunt or bladed. The ones Scott had were stainless steel and far more "hook-like":

392.jpg

I bought the set which included the above tool. I found it wonderfully useful for smaller o-rings. I have heard that you have to be careful with stainless steel picks, because some items (like the shafts on wing inflator valves) are made of brass, and if you scratch them, the o-ring may never be able to seal again. But I found that there was a nice "rolling" technique that brought this one under the o-ring without damaging either the underlying metal OR the o-ring itself.

Very nice report, thanks for posting. I would very much like to do this class at some point (we now have several HOG regs).

Mike at DRIS is trying to drum up interest in a class during the Long Beach SCUBA show

those are pretty much the only pics I'll use, yes ss can scratch the reg but they are so easy to use that I find myself not having to dig at all compared to brass pics.

I had a fairly good selection of brass o-ring picks, but they were all fairly blunt or bladed. The ones Scott had were stainless steel and far more "hook-like":

392.jpg

I bought the set which included the above tool. I found it wonderfully useful for smaller o-rings. I have heard that you have to be careful with stainless steel picks, because some items (like the shafts on wing inflator valves) are made of brass, and if you scratch them, the o-ring may never be able to seal again. But I found that there was a nice "rolling" technique that brought this one under the o-ring without damaging either the underlying metal OR the o-ring itself.

Having a curled, sharp hook like that can be very useful for certain o-rings.

@Blue Sparkle: I believe that the tool above is part of this set sold on Scubatools.com (about $9).
A local drugstore (Walgreens, CVS) might sell the tool as well.
McMaster-Carr carries a range of o-ring picks.
If you have a dental appointment coming up, you can ask your dentist for "retired" stainless steel picks.

For brass o-ring picks, you can go to a local welding shop, ask for a brazing rod, heat it up and form the end to be whatever suits the application.

Brass o-ring picks can also be used for scraping verdigris off of delicate, hard-to-reach areas.

I have a bunch of "retired" dental equipment, but none of it is as nice or as useful as the tool I showed above. I bought the whole little set, which comes in a nice container to keep it together and undamaged.

I had fun buying tools. I like tools . . .

I have made a few brass pick like items and small scrapers for just the reason Bubble noted. Once in a while when I'm running my waterjet at work and cutting brass I'll load the pick program up and add a few more to my tool kit. The nice thing is I can cut and then using different grinders, sanders, and bends custom make shapes for whatever I need and not have to try and make something work. Just grab the one I need and do what needs done.

I think it's wonderful that there is a class being offered. Even better to hear that one might be taught here in SoCal soon.

Yet, even with a subforum dedicated to helping students post-class, there really is something to be said for having someone local to whom you can turn for hands on assistance, especially for those of us who are less mechanically-inclined. It sounds like Lynne not only had a great class, but has a great local resource for those questions that will surely arise when she comes back to her regs in however many months.

Lewis, it'd be wonderful if we had a local shop dealing HOG regs that would allow divers to come use their tools and expertise to service personal gear. Unfortunately, I don't know of any local HOG dealers. Hopefully SSD is able to take care of you!

Rainer, do you have a local HOG dealer? If so, why not talk to him about going through the instructor certification process? Heaven knows, you guys have enough tech divers down there to make teaching the class a win for the dealer.

I'm in the same boat as you albeit on the opposite coast. I was talking to one of the LDS owners around Boston (Al at South Shore Divers) and he was thinking of picking up the HOG line and becoming an instructor for the service class. He was thinking of "renting" out the service bench at his shop for those people that took the class from him. I think this would be a great idea as it would still allow the user to service their regs but have access to a knowledgeable reg tech/instructor if they are rusty on the prodecures.

Although it's preferable to have someone with specific knowledge on HOG regs to answer questions, it certainly isn't necessary.
A perfectly workable solution would be to use "common sense" first, then consult the Vance Harlow book (which covers the vast majority of questions that pop into the heads of novice DIYers) and, if that doesn't solve the issue, make a post in the ScubaBoard DIY forum.

There's nothing special about HOG regs.
Troubleshooting would be conducted in the same way for other regs that share an identical design (Aqualung Legend, Zeagle, Apeks, certain Scubapro regs, etc.).

To be honest, a freely downloadable "official" reg repair manual, including up-close photos, detailed step-by-step overhaul instructions, helpful hints/warnings about pitfalls, torque specs, recommended tools, troubleshooting procedures, tuning instructions, and exploded parts diagram, would be very helpful to a novice DIYer. No need to bug an instructor, the manufacturer, or other reg repair techs when the necessary info is contained in one tidy little package accessible online to all HOG reg owners.

actually that is why I had a special forum set up here n scubaboard for just that reason. It's a place where folks that have taken the class an dthe instructors (and me) can work together to address exactly that

Mike at DRIS is trying to drum up interest in a class during the Long Beach SCUBA show

Reactions: Tug
Yet, even with a subforum dedicated to helping students post-class, there really is something to be said for having someone local to whom you can turn for hands on assistance, especially for those of us who are less mechanically-inclined.

To be clear, it isn't like I am not willing to have dealers everywhere or instructors for the class. I want them, believe it or not I can't force your LDS to be a dealer! (nor would i want to), and let's be honest, MANY don't want to teach clinics to end users.

That said I am adding new dealers quite quickly.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom