Hog Harness Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba393

Registered
Reaction score
Is a basic hog harness really comfortable (more so than a back inflate BC)? Or is it used more for its simplicity and customization in tech diving, where comfort is overlooked for practicality?

Never having used one, it seems that a hog harness will keep the tanks somewhat loose on your back, whereas a BC will keep things tighter and more secure. And from pictures, it seems the hog harness straps restrict the divers arms somewhat.

Never having used one, it seems that a hog harness will keep the tanks somewhat loose on your back, whereas a BC will keep things tighter and more secure. And from pictures, it seems the hog harness straps restrict the divers arms somewhat.

100% wrong. My double 130's with manifold, bands and full of air weigh over 100#'s. If the HOG harness didn't hold them stable, it would be a disaster. Every BC I have ever used (and I have used many over 17 years of diving), have had the tanks really rolling around on my back. A HOG harness is far more secure, and if it's setup right, your freedom of movement is greater, not more restricted.

Jim

Is a basic hog harness really comfortable (more so than a back inflate BC)? Or is it used more for its simplicity and customization in tech diving, where comfort is overlooked for practicality?

Yes, it is equally as comfortable. Even when wearing a rash guard and shorts.

Yes, it is more simple and less stressful via decreased task loading.

Yes, it is infinitely customizable for any body shape or configuration.

The tanks are held closer to your back and the backplate spreads the load equally across your upper torse. There is far less wiggle and roll.

The BCD has adjustments that you crank tight, but the actually design of the jacket (with air cells around the torso - that have to inflate and deflate) will always cause more wobble and instability.

In contrast, the Hog harness is custom fitted to the diver, and does not restrict the torso and arms by having volumes of bellowing nylon wrapped around. Neither does the harness have to deal with changes to the fit, caused by changing the volume of air cells that surround the body.

A properly fitted Hog harness should be quite loose on the arms (surprisingly so!). The waist strap and crotch strap do the main work in holding the system snug against your body. As an example, my harness is sufficiently loose that I can remove both arms from the harness (still in place due to the waist belt) whilst swimming along.

It's hard to describe... but if you try one, and get it fitted properly, then you'll understand in an instant.

In my opinion it much more comfortable. Fewer chafing points and cluttery junk.

the K

I've used my one-piece harness over just a T-shirt with no problem.

Even with the shoulder straps comfortably loose and easy to get into/out of, once you attach the crotch strap, it locks everything down, and nothing moves.

Another voice in the chorus here. The backplate adds amazing stability; the harness can actually be looser and still keep the rig in place. The crotch strap is the key to locking it all down. And I vastly prefer a simple harness, because I have MORE mobility of my arms, especially in reaching across my body.

Always more stable.
The only downside is I do need to wear at least a t shirt (and shorts!) as the harness can pinch where the straps cross in the kidney area.

Yes, it is equally as comfortable. Even when wearing a rash guard and shorts.

Yes, it is more simple and less stressful via decreased task loading.

Yes, it is infinitely customizable for any body shape or configuration...

It's hard to describe... but if you try one, and get it fitted properly, then you'll understand in an instant.

+1

All I can say is that I wish I would not have wasted my money buying other more expensive alternatives.

I had the opposite experience (to the original poster's thoughts).

For me, a vest BC never fit right, was not comfortable (too much bulk in front and under arms), and worst of all, the tank slopped around.

I got a backplate with a plain webbing harness and it is comfortable (dived for two weeks/many dives with just a dive skin last summer and never even thought about the harness - and I'm picky!). Best of all, it's super solid. Tank is not going anywhere. Ahhhh.

Back
Top Bottom