HOG piston 1st stage (BP1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, with the MK5 and the MK20's crown (2-022) and minus the MK20's stem bushing. A Mk5 reborn, the stuff the gurus above have been dreaming of. Now if somebody would go ahead and buy one, dive it and take it apart and tell us how it is in real life? :D

Yep, with the MK5 and the MK20's crown (2-022) and minus the MK20's stem bushing. A Mk5 reborn, the stuff the gurus above have been dreaming of. Now if somebody would go ahead and buy one, dive it and take it apart and tell us how it is in real life? :D

Step one (check)
not dived it yet though :)

I bought one last week. Will dive it with a HOD D1 Second side by side with a Mk20/G250 in Bonnaire over the 4th of July. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob

If they make the HP seat cap 0141 (see manual) Zung provided, adjustable like the MK25 I will buy one. Otherwise its a MK5 copy that looks like MK20 still using shims to adjust IP. Also the manual never mentioned the use of the piston bullet when inserting to the main housing. Maybe it uses the MK25 rounded piston tip. I will be in Tacoma Dive &Travel Expo this weekend and I will check this out. I got the new HOG 2nd last month and its Oowsome. Apeks ATX copy very durable I had mine set to breath on the magnehelic at .o8 inch. Great for strong currents. The front cover has a built in water deflector to minimize the diaphragm moving inward you guess >>> free flows. Very simple. Maybe the designer is a drift/current or DPV scooter diver. In the old days late 60s and 70s Mares had the holes on the side of the cover. But those ring that secures it was a pain in the !!!. to install.

lakan: I'm not sure I like my MK25 (actually the wife's). With the air off, my adjustment screw is WAY too loose to stay put. Is yours tighter?

You're right, I also think the piston has a blunt tip. Nothing wrong with that: with a MK20 or a MK10 Plus, if the tip is in good shape, the lockup is nearly as snappy as a MK5/MK10. If it is not, you can always apply the mattmagic as I reported in the DIY section.

To all the owners: it'd be nice to have your opinion about the externals, finish, precision of assembly... as a starter. How does it compare to, say, a Scubapro? It's Taiwan (HOG/ScubaMax/ODS) against Japan (SP/TUSA/Tabata).

If they make the HP seat cap 0141 (see manual) Zung provided, adjustable like the MK25 I will buy one. Otherwise its a MK5 copy that looks like MK20 still using shims to adjust IP. Also the manual never mentioned the use of the piston bullet when inserting to the main housing. Maybe it uses the MK25 rounded piston tip. I will be in Tacoma Dive &Travel Expo this weekend and I will check this out. I got the new HOG 2nd last month and its Oowsome. Apeks ATX copy very durable I had mine set to breath on the magnehelic at .o8 inch. Great for strong currents. The front cover has a built in water deflector to minimize the diaphragm moving inward you guess >>> free flows. Very simple. Maybe the designer is a drift/current or DPV scooter diver. In the old days late 60s and 70s Mares had the holes on the side of the cover. But those ring that secures it was a pain in the !!!. to install.

I won't be doing the IP adjust like the SP MK25, don't see any reason to. The reg should hold the IP pretty consistent between services and if it loses it enough that you need to dramatic adjust the IP a new main spring is the answer. That is covered under warranty.

I took a off the shelf design from my OEM and modified it over a 18 month period of testing. Didn't copy anything. The OEM shelf design did for sure but I wasn't happy with it.

lakan: I'm not sure I like my MK25 (actually the wife's). With the air off, my adjustment screw is WAY too loose to stay put. Is yours tighter?

You're right, I also think the piston has a blunt tip. Nothing wrong with that: with a MK20 or a MK10 Plus, if the tip is in good shape, the lockup is nearly as snappy as a MK5/MK10. If it is not, you can always apply the mattmagic as I reported in the DIY section.

To all the owners: it'd be nice to have your opinion about the externals, finish, precision of assembly... as a starter. How does it compare to, say, a Scubapro? It's Taiwan (HOG/ScubaMax/ODS) against Japan (SP/TUSA/Tabata).

actually some of those regs you attribute to Japan are made in Italy and elsewhere...

anyhow, don't judge a HOG/EDGE reg against another from the Taiwan (and there are a couple OEM's there that do VERY similar regs) I truly am paying more for a higher quality chrome job. NOTHING ticks me off more than a good design killed by a poor chrome job.

many, including some made in USA brand can't be bothered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom