HOG Questions/Musings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
1. I saw in a thread started by somone called Boogywooogy or such concerning what is HOG and what is not and an answer was given by one poster that HOG is a cave rig. If HOG is a cave rig then when your not cave diving what is it called. Especially if you drop the long hose per WHM's page where I read the correct set up is an aluminum 80 and a 40 inch hose.

Curious why that poster is an expert. Person in the link is. :)

If WHM's thought was to always seek the simplest configuration for a particular dive profile then HOG cannot always be DIR because DIR does not evolve or adjust but always force fits itself to the profile. Example--oh God--the long hose---not needed outside of a cave (maybe wreck). So, the OW profile adapted HOG rig is a 40 inch hose per WHM. BUT, that would never be DIR because they never alter their rig. (JFYI, when I use OW for open water I an not referring to the PadI ridiculous cert levels, I mean it as no overhead environment diving and including no deco diving since deco is a sort of overhead) Another example is the can light. I assume a non can type light could be HOG but never DIR. Just some thoughts. None of this meant to cause a feud. N

I always thought the more important constant was the holistic approach. Not so much the focus on a single piece of equipment, but how it fits into the whole.

From the link above:
" ...the Hogarthian diver attempts to remove all possible risks by designing a holistic life support system that facilitates every dive."

I've only done a bit of reading. I do enjoy diving with a BP/W, long hose, bungied secondary ... but I don't worry too much about the label. :)

daniel f aleman:
"Hog" is a general decription of a system used in cave diving, DIR is George Irvine's term for his cave diving system - outside of cave diving, both systems don't exist.

?????????????????????????????
"Hogarthian" is an approach towards diving refering to Bill Main where we strive to be minimalist with our gear and take only what is needed in the simplest configuration that works best.

DIR is the GUE "system" of diving including approaches to dive fitness, standardised gear configuration, diving techniques, and buddy diving etc.... ( I am not DIR trained so this is only my personal attempt at a brief sumation of what I understand).

BOTH systems certainly exist outside cave diving. Whether you adopt either of them for the diving that you do is entirely up to you.
The approaches to diving do not suddenly cease to exist when one exits a cave.

Soggy:
When did HOG become an acronym? :wink:

It's not an acronym. That would be H.O.G. It's an abbreviation.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom