HOG Questions/Musings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod...

... the "Solo Diver" label shows up under your name because you opted in to the Solo Divers Forum. You would have to go to "group memberships" in your UserCP and opt out of the Solo Divers Forum to get that label removed. Of course, you then won't be able to see the threads in the Solo Divers Forum.

I used to get flack from some people because of the same thing. Then, I decided that the discussions in the Solo Forum just weren't good enough for the misunderstanding that some folks get seeing that label under my name.

"You have enough dives to know what works for you, and I aint gettin in a Pissin match with you! By the way,, Hows that ol dv3 workin out for you???"

As to the first part I have no idea what your talking about but for the second part the DV3X is kinda neat. Like all old/odd things it can be tempermental. The design of the housing is mostly where all the problems are. It has insuffucient strength in the foward bulkhead and the load path for transferring forces when it is lifted by the handle is poorely engineered. Aside from that you realize it actually has he same direct drive motor, shroud and propeller you would find in any of the way high dollar scooters. I installed two 18ah batteries in place of the original 16ah and installed a new rear bulkhead that was also broken. The motor is quite powerful and easily pulls me at speeds that try to rip the regulator from the mouth, lol. I picked up a second one from ebay, a black version, but it has issues. Mostly the forward bulkhead and aft bulkhead need replacing and a few other problems, I am building a new headlamp assembly for it also. I have had the red one on a dive and it did nicely.
It would be pretty simple to build a new PVC type housing and just remove the motor assembly and prop and shroud etc over to the new tube. I may do that. The Tekna is just a little to fragile and you know how stuff gets banged around on a boat, especially heavy stuff and the darn thing weighs 50 lbs, a few lbs negative in seawater. I do like the "modern" rocket ship styling of the Tekna housing.
As to the console, yes, I am considering moving my depth guage to my wrist but that console is very small and on a 22 inch hose clipping nicely to the waist D-ring. Returning to the original poorely worded question, I was seeking thoughts on adapting Hogarthian rigs to open water diving. I fully understand why a wrist mounted guage is better in a cave--ok--why do you think it is better in open water--is it better vizibility of the guage? I have gotten several good thoughts here and in private messages. Thanks, for the responses, N

Nemrod:
I fully understand why a wrist mounted guage is better in a cave--ok--why do you think it is better in open water--is it better vizibility of the guage? I have gotten several good thoughts here and in private messages. Thanks, for the responses, N

Because, while ascending, you don't have to hold the darn console in your hand to see what depth you are at.

Nemrod:
Returning to the original poorely worded question, I was seeking thoughts on adapting Hogarthian rigs to open water diving. I fully understand why a wrist mounted guage is better in a cave--ok--why do you think it is better in open water--is it better vizibility of the guage? I have gotten several good thoughts here and in private messages. Thanks, for the responses, N
Because I never need to find it, its always right there. Plus as Soggy says, you don't have to let go of anything to see it.

daniel f aleman:
And they say that marketing doesn't work...
So...Daniel, Show us the Beef? You make claims but you never follow through with any real facts.

"Because, while ascending, you don't have to hold the darn console in your hand to see what depth you are at."

Ah, yes, amazing how one change begets another. When I reduced the hose length on the spg to 22 inches it is no longer easy to hold the depth guage up. While not a problem during a dive I can see how trying to hold a deco stop would be diffucult if you were trying to hold that short hose console up to get a good view. Very good---thanks. N

Nemrod:
1. I saw in a thread started by somone called Boogywooogy or such concerning what is HOG and what is not and an answer was given by one poster that HOG is a cave rig.

It's a configuration, not an activity.

If HOG is a cave rig then when your not cave diving what is it called. Especially if you drop the long hose per WHM's page where I read the correct set up is an aluminum 80 and a 40 inch hose.

Can you put up a link for that page, please.

3. I just picked up a DR mesh pocket, does it go on the RH waist strap?
That's a good place for it. You can route the long hose under it.

and is that where the SMP snd safety reel go or should I continue to carry them clipped to my aft crotch D-ring?

I don't think there's any one place for this. I tend to keep them left because they can interfere with the longhose. Same applies for stages.

If WHM's thought was to always seek the simplest configuration for a particular dive profile

I think this is only one part of it.

So, the OW profile adapted HOG rig is a 40 inch hose per WHM
This is the second time you've mentioned this. Is there something you're trying to say? I'm not quite sure why this is an important point or why would wouldn't just use a longhose if you feel like it. To me the principle of breathing the primary and keeping the secondary on a necklace is the leading principle. A secondary principle is to not create complexity and to solve existing problems without creating other problems. Therefore I don't see any reason *not* to use the longhose because I believe frequent changes to your hose lengths creates confusion which I see as an avoidable problem and using short hoses for air sharing is not optimal, which I see as another problem. I guess from what you're saying that Bill Main would disagree with this but I think he would agree with the way of thinking about it. In that context I would think that his comments were possibly directed at the recreational diver who has no intention of rigging out for anything other than puddlestomping.

Make any sense to you?

R..

HOG, Hog, I have seen it referred to that way in many threads on this forum, right or wrong. Hogarthian is awfully long, I think Hog fits better, that is my story and I am sticking to it. Ref. below

From the thread "I just Joined the Club"

"Thats more of a backpad and wing , a hog rig is just about completely different. Look into the transplate , thats a bit closer to a Hog rig . Dive rite basic harness is actually what would be considered a Hog Harness."

That would be three uses of "hog" in one paragraph. Don't jump on my case for what you guys promote.

The link, I think I mentioned was lost along with tons of other links when I dumped aol a few weeks ago and my new server deleated all my mail I had sent with the links. Nonetheless I guess what I am saying is that I have read that even the Master seems to recommend variations in hoses and other minor bits depending upon the profile and when I find the link again I will post it. It decidedly referred to ocean diving rig as aluminum 80 and 40 inch hose---look in tha Halycon catalog---some odd collections there. I am no more hung up on this "hose" thing than any of you guys. I just asked for some discussion on any aspect you felt like discussing--why are you so defensive of the hose thing? So, what your telling me is your going to dive dry, with double PST 108s with a long hose and a can light in a tropical resort because you never vary your rig? Don't answer.

Since it seems some people get upset with any discussion why don't we all just call this thread quits. It has been useful to me and I do appreciate the comments--all of them, again thanks. Please don't continue any further on my behalf, I have several new thoughts to consider thanks to this thread and several private messages with good critique that it generated.

"Harley Owners Group"

No, that would be the fat old men in black leather club. I prefer to wheelie past them at about a hundred, I sure could use another 750 Gixxer about now. My friends and I used to torment them in highschool on our Jap bikes, I've made a lifelong habit of it, amazing, same big bellies, same black leather and same tired old tatoos and same old Hardlys vibrating and leaking, nothing ever changes, something comforting about that. N

yup, that's me... old and fat with lots of tats.
last seen... unsticking your wives and daughters off the backseat of my 1440ci vibrator.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom