HOG Questions/Musings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't those X shorts things cause a lot of drag? They look huge and baggy and look like they would fill with water and balloon around?
N

Can't answer your question about X-shorts, but the ones I bought did not seem to add any perceptible drag. They had a drawstring waist that I could tie fairly tight (minimizing water entry) and drawstrings at the legs, which I also used. They do look funky, and between those and the Converse high-tops I was using to keep my fins on, I got some ribbing.

Nemrod:
Don't those X shorts things cause a lot of drag? They look huge and baggy and look like they would fill with water and balloon around?
N

Only for a minute or two, then they fly right off, and there you are! Slick as an eel!

Soggy:
While DIR developed in the cave diving community, it is no longer just a "cave diving system" and it applies to all areas of diving. Living in the North East, many of the DIR divers I know have never been anywhere near a cave. Many have never had a set of doubles on their back, either. I suggest you go to the DIR forum and read "Cave Diver's" sticky post, "What is DIR?" at the top of the forum because it appears you don't have any idea what DIR is.

And they say that marketing doesn't work...

Guys, it's Sunday evening and I have been having a few cocktails and reading the posts in this thread and have been well entertained. It is just amazing how people can get stirred up over things and correspond back and forth with just that little bit of tension that really makes things interesting. Thanks so much. Nemrod, I see you have "solo diver" under your picture. Seriously now, would you (for lack of a better word or I am not quite sure how to put this) integrate that concept in this discussion. I am facinated by that and am genuinely interested in what you have to say.
Thanks,
Wayne

thmoose, early on I was afraid there would be tension which is why I asked for a friendly discussion. I have now essentially called the thread quits since it went off to uncharted territory. As to solo diver, when I signed up on scubaboard and made a few posts suddenly "solo diver" showed up under my name after I registered for the solo forum. I never put it there myself and somehow it will not go away.
Just because I often dive solo and in configurations you guys would never appreciate does not mean that I don't find useful the DIR and Hogartian ideas and also find useful the experience and ideas and opinions on this forum. Yeah, I Solo dive, have for years, since the beginning actually, I also dive with buddies and my wife. In a quest for ultimate simplicity I have returned to the idea that everything beyond my tank and my AquaMaster is just extra and not needed--beyond that I am trying to configure the simplest dive rig I can and still meet the typical requirments one runs into on charter boats, resorts etc. Frankly, at least for warmer water and with up to a 3/2 type wetsuit I do not need a BC, I don't need any of that stuff most consider manadatory. I wish I could give you a DIR take on solo but since I am not and never will be DIR I cannot and this is not a DIR forum. My initial and inadequate request was for critique and considerations upon my modest attempt at a Hogartjian compliant rig for open water diving or actually no-overhead diving---you know--for those times folks insist that I must be like everyone else--not realizing they are actually addressing NEMROD---soverign of the deep. (just teasing you--lol---take it easy and enjoy your eveneing). N

thmoose, I thought you might appreciate the picture of my Tekna DV3X. It has a newly hot wound motor, high capacity batteries and I am now rigging a tow trap. I rebuilt it myself. Yeah, notice the plastic buckles!!!! I am sure these are not DIR but I like them. I will sew the brass clip into the strap and then make length adjustments at the two buckles. The buckles are light and cheap and actually rather strong. Notice the Tekna instrument console, depth and compass. The DPV is actually rather fast. I had it in the pool for a test run and I ran over an hour and it was still going strong. I collected most of my Tekna oddities during my "Tekna era" which was between 78 and 84. I am a pack rat and I set my gear up in sets that span and typify my diving interests from childhood up to now. And "now" I am in a Hog mode as long as I do not have to abandon my roots and go--uh-----whole---uh---HOG, lol. N

N... now im confused.. I forgot your first post! I carry my SMb, and reel on my rear D ring. O also use a little bit diferent light that hangs light down, in low vis conditions, I turn it on and the guy following can see it. amd I only carry my SPG on a hose, everything else is wrist mounted. As far as the hoses, that My friend, is your'e decision. You have enough dives to know what works for you, and I aint gettin in a Pissin match with you! By the way,, Hows that ol dv3 workin out for you???
Dave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom