HOG reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie_47

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the HOG Single Tank Hogarthian Reg Package from DGE and have a choice between the classic and the Zenith second stages (with minimal cost difference). What's the difference and what would your choice be. Why? Any input would be appreciated.

I'd recommend the Zenith as it is an overall better design. Classics have had some problems with beach divers (sand getting into purge button spring), and the solution (soft cover) is problematic for divers using scooters or in high flow caves since the soft cover actuates the purge with low resistance.

Take my recommendation with a grain of salt, though, as I don't own a Zenith (yet).

I would trust anything HOG makes to work well and be an excellent value. I own 4 D1 first stages and 6 Classic second stages. As I see it, the main advantage of the Zenith is less likelihood of the purge getting fouled by sediment. So if that's a risk of this with your diving configuration and the locations you like to dive, it would be worth the extra few bucks. Or if you just think the Zenith just looks cool, well that's fine too. I can't imagine the Zenith has any DISadvantages compared to the Classic 2nd, and the internal parts are all identical.

PM sent.

And as has already been stated the Zenith is a one piece cover. The classic is a two piece. Performance wise they are the same. I have a dozen or so classics on my personal regs and I dive the area that the OP lives in. Never had an issue with a stuck button.

I just can't get past the Chrysleresqueness of the Zenith.

Most of my diving is at Gilboa quarry with occasional trips to Key Largo or the Bahama's so I'm generally not in high flow or heavily silted areas (yet). I do see some great lakes wreck diving in my future though. Because of the great lakes diving I think my priority at this point is the sealed 1st stage which this rig has. I just wasn't clear on the differences in the second stage. As Jim indicated in his PM and others on this thread have pointed out; the internals are the same so it sounds like just cosmetic differences unless there are some weight differences or the exhaust bubble dispersion is somewhat different. Thanks to all who responded!

Get the classic you will like it. Regs are great just be carefull with the wings.

Enjoy the regs...

I have both and they both work exceptionally well. I did however experience the sand in the purge once with the classic. In all fairness though, I was diving side-mount and had placed my rigs on the sand in the water before hand. A large boat went by and the wake threw them about a little and washed the sand also. In doing my routine checkout before getting too deep I had the purge stick after a reg swap. My buddy and I shut the tank down and I went back to the other reg. Settled to the bottom at 40' and removed the purge cover and cleaned it out. No problems after that. You will not be disappointed in either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom