Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJSmith84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im sure this has been talked about before but cant really find some good info.

So im looking at picking up a new regulator and see alot of people talking about the Hog set ups and can be picked up for super cheap!

Hog D1 Second Stage, Edge Epic Coldwater YOKE First stage(first stage ONLY), and being followed up with a Phantom Flex Hose for $220

also seeing the Edge stuff- it is the same? I see they offer a yoke instead of having a yoke din adaptor. are they the same product?

Now my real question is -
Am I better off getting something better or is this a great combo?

I am new to the sport and don’t know the differences between a great reg and an ok one. I would rather buy the good stuff once and have it last for years to come and not out grow it and want something better.

I have buddies that dive older atomic regs and that is currently what im borrowing and seems to work well. At least a lot better than the give I used for my certification.

So should I go with this this Hog set up or purchase something better?

Cost isn’t too much of a concern but im not wanting to over spend because Im buying a better name on the box.

Also can you get a swivel on this reg?

Im open to hear what all you experienced divers have to say.

Thanks – Kyle the newbie :)

Last edited:
perhaps the most important question is: how will you handle servicing of your equipment? There are many very good products out there, and with our litigious society, very little "junk". If you can't get it serviced without sending it away (or if you don't want to do that), or if you aren't going to go the route of DIY, the local carried brands are paramount.

HOG has been building a very good name for itself from folks on this board, many of whom are serious and experienced divers. I dive a different brand, but had I not been so heavily invested in it, HOG would be a top consideration.

As to your other questions, I'll defer to those using them to chime in.

You can add a swivel to the HOG no problem.

In terms of servicing, there are people that will do mailin service. While that seems like it would take longer than local service, in my experience it's about the same. It makes sense if you consider that for a local service your gear's sitting in line for a few days, whereas if you mail it in (and call ahead), it's effectively in-queue in-flight.

Love my HOG second stage. My husband will service it, he's the engineer/mechanic in the family.
i love not being forced to have my regulator serviced by a shop monkey, who may or may not be as careful as my husband with my life support. ( probably not) I can't stand that most regulators won't sell parts for servicing to the public.
My HOG regulator is so well made. Just sturdy feeling. Every part of it feels better than most second stages I've looked at, even high end super expensive ones. I love the adjustment knob, it's very sturdy.
When I need new or more regs I will definitely be buying HOGS.

Yeahhhhh I think the "something better" is kind of off the mark. I love my HOG's and I think they are as well made as the Titans I was looking at before trying HOG. I say HOG but, in my opinion, EDGE is every bit as good. I now have both as I was not thrilled with messing with the adapter when DIN tanks were not available. As far as service.....I dont see local service as being all that big a deal. Most divers that dive much at all seem to end up with multiple sets of regs. I know I now have 4 sets. With even two sets it is a simple matter to have the service done at different times so that you always have your fav set or your backup set available at any given moment. Plus, if I remember right, HOG/EDGE recommend service every two years instead of every year making service less expensive over all and cutting the amount of time they are in the shop in half.

didn't mean that others were better but there has to be a reason there are regs out there 4 times the cost.

has there been anyone here that has owned multiple regs and liked the hog or the edge over the other brands tried?

the forums are great and i know most people talk up what they own as it is the best(im guilty of it too) bu that is because that is really all they know.

I just dont want to buy a reg and then a year down the line have to purchase another one.

So i guess what im looking for is a yoke first stage (i think edge only makes this not hog yet??) or do a hog and an adapter.

and whats the differences between the second stages they have?

classic
special edition
switchback

or should i look at the edge epic? looks like it has the swivel and has a yoke? are they the same thing just different label?

sorry for the questions- newbie here just trying to learn.

You seem to be a newbie so I will give you the executive summary. People who use and sell HOG regs love them. The have been compared in quality and breathing to S600/MK25s and Apeks ATX-50s/DST. People who sell other brands seem to hate them. I have saved you from reading 100s of posts. Welcome to Scubaboard.

---------- Post Merged at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:29 AM ----------

didn't mean that others were better but there has to be a reason there are regs out there 4 times the cost.

has there been anyone here that has owned multiple regs and liked the hog or the edge over the other brands tried?

the forums are great and i know most people talk up what they own as it is the best(im guilty of it too) bu that is because that is really all they know.

I just dont want to buy a reg and then a year down the line have to purchase another one.

So i guess what im looking for is a yoke first stage (i think edge only makes this not hog yet??)
and whats the differences between the second stages they have?

classic
special edition
switchback

or should i look at the edge epic? looks like it has the swivel and has a yoke? are they the same thing just different label?

sorry for the questions- newbie here just trying to learn.

Contact Jim Lapenta he sells them and can answer all your questions about EDGE/HOG as can Cerich who runs the company.

Contact TS&M (a moderator here) as she is on record saying the HOGs are comparable to her S600/MK25s.

I started out with Sherwood, went to Oceanic, Scuba Pro, and even an older US Divers SEA2. I still have one Oceanic I use from time to time. The rest are gone. I have been diving a HOG reg since 2009. First time out was under the ice in February. I am still using those regs and have added four more for stages and single tank diving. My GF dives an Edge EXP and loves it. It does breathe as good as my HOGs.

Yes you can put a swivel on the HOGs but depending on the hose configuration you may not want to. I dive a 7ft primary and a swivel is not necessary. My GF uses a std length hose and does prefer a swivel. She has one that she has traveled with for years so I just installed it for her on the EXP. If however you do want a swivel on a high perfomance reg then I suggest the Epic 2012. It comes with a swivel on the second stage, braided hose, and you can get yoke or DIN.

The HOG line is marketed more towards the technical diving community hence the cafeteria options for hoses, individual stages, etc.. The Edge line is geared more towards the recreational diver who does not want to be "building" their own regs with custom hose configurations. Performance is not sacrificed though as the Epic 1 stage is the HOG D-2 with a different finish. The D-2 is the D-1 without the swivel turrret. The Edge seconds are a little smaller and lighter but perform just as good IMO.

I can do a conversion on the HOG to yoke (new this year) at extra cost. Did one of mine in fact. But the HOG will not come std with a yoke fitting.

Differences between them:
classic - red and chrome accents
special edition - all black finish
switchback - reversible for sidemount divers who want a hose coming from the left side of the reg.

If you plan to go tech - go HOG. If you plan only to do recreational dives and want a swivel - Edge.

---------- Post Merged at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Oh and on both the recommended rebuild is every two years. There is a recommended annual inspection but it is at your discretion. I tell my customers it's a good idea, but if the reg is working fine and you are not doing 100 dives a year it is not absolutely necessary. But it does make sure everything is working as it should.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.....that is as I thought. The recommended rebuild every two years cuts the time spent in the shop in half and the cost of rebuilds in half.

I cant say I have the depth of experience that others on here have, not even close. But I have dove with a half a dozen other regs sets and none of them outperformed the HOG for my simple rec diving. It breathes as easy as any I have tried and better than all but maybe one of them.

I believe Lynn (TSandM) switched out from SP. Jim Lapenta put all his SP up for sale, and became a vendor.... Think NWGreatful Diver is now using them....

There are many things that are out there that cost more because of the name. Big companies have big costs, and need to make (more) money....

Also, HOG now has a Yoke available...

As to features, the folks will be chiming in soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom