Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe Lynn (TSandM) switched out from SP. Jim Lapenta put all his SP up for sale, and became a vendor.... Think NWGreatful Diver is now using them....

There are many things that are out there that cost more because of the name. Big companies have big costs, and need to make (more) money....

Also, HOG now has a Yoke available...

As to features, the folks will be chiming in soon.

hmmm.
so hog does have yoke now? and new features??

---------- Post Merged at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:35 PM ----------

also thank you for taking the time explaining this Jim. helps me a lot on the different models offered.

I was typing all this and somehow it didn't post until "the authorities" check in....

As far as why cost is lower than comparable performance regs. When was the last time you saw a full page ad in one of the dive magazines for HOG?
You won't. Those ads cost boatloads of money.
And who pays for them? You the diver does.
HOG/Edge also does not use fancy packaging. Again,something else the diver pays for.
Also there are no reps for individual territories in the US. That also adds a layer of cost to gear. Dealers work directly with HOG/Edge.
They choose to use that savings to bring lower prices to the end user. Some of it they also put back into continuously improving and bringing new products out.

Even if I was not a dealer I would still do what I have done. Based on the years of service I have gotten from the gear and from HOG/Edge. I was calling early on with questions and ya know what? They didn't tell me to call my dealer! Chris talked to me. I could have and did call the shop I got my first regs from and they were very good. But sometimes ya just want to talk to the boss.

And more than anything is the fact that he stands behind what he sells.

Now my real question is -
Am I better off getting something better or is this a great combo?... I would rather buy the good stuff once and have it last for years to come and not out grow it and want something better...

So should I go with this this Hog set up or purchase something better?

Cost isn’t too much of a concern...

Thanks – Kyle the newbie :)
Hi Kyle,

If I were you I would spend the money and go with a name brand reg.

Spend the extra money and get the best, then you only pay once.

Hi Kyle,

interesting (and misleading) statement.... HOG is a Name Brand......

I'm surprised you didn't say, "Deep Down You Want The Best"..... LMAO!

Hog is just as good as any other reg out there, watch who is giving you advice.

You will find many around these parts that have vested interests in other companies. I do not. Both I and my wife Dive HOG and have absolutely no regrets

Hi Kyle,

Give it a rest. Just because a regulator costs more doesn't make it the best. In fact, there is at least one brand (y'all know which one I'm referring to) that costs twice as much as other brands that are just as good. Personally, I've dived regs of that brand and don't care for them. There are other, less expensive regs I would rather dive. The only thing that particular company makes that I would recommend is a certain, popular fin. Otherwise, anyone looking for some great, quality regulators would do very well to give Edge/HOG regulators a try.

---------- Post Merged at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:17 PM ----------

interesting (and misleading) statement.... HOG is a Name Brand......

I'm surprised you didn't say, "Deep Down You Want The Best"..... LMAO!

HOG has got some other brands running scared because they know that Edge/HOG makes some of the best regulators out there.

It looks like Scubapro/Apex had a thumbs up.

As far as HOG being a brand name, I guess it is a matter of opinion. I think they have only been around for 5 years. They are not very popular west of the Mississippi.

Scubapro has been a major player in the SCUBA biz for 50 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom