Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like Scubapro/Apex had a thumbs up.

As far as HOG being a brand name, I guess it is a matter of opinion. I think they have only been around for 5 years. They are not very popular west of the Mississippi.

Scubapro has been a major player in the SCUBA biz for 50 years.

Can you relate your personal experience diving with either the Edge or Hog regulators?

I believe Lynn (TSandM) switched out from SP. Jim Lapenta put all his SP up for sale, and became a vendor.... Think NWGreatful Diver is now using them....

There are many things that are out there that cost more because of the name. Big companies have big costs, and need to make (more) money....

Also, HOG now has a Yoke available...

As to features, the folks will be chiming in soon.

As I recall TSandM saying, she and her husband have 19+ regs between them. That is obviously a major determining factor with a conversion...

---------- Post Merged at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:37 PM ----------

As far as HOG being a brand name, I guess it is a matter of opinion. I think they have only been around for 5 years. They are not very popular west of the Mississippi.

I agree. When folks inquire about which reg to utilize for tech purposes, they are really attempting to eliminate as many objections as they possibly can. Scubapro, Atomic and Apex still remain the gold standard IMO...

Last edited:
I've used Aqualung Titans, ScubaPro Mk25/S600, Scubapro MK17s (we think), Zeagle DSIVs, and the Hogs. Because I belong to a group of divers who share gas a lot for practice, I've also had a chance to breathe a number of other regulators. I think my HOGs breathe as well as anything else I have used.

Of course, the ability to take a class and learn to service them myself was a big consideration in switching all our regs over, since as stated above, we have 19 of them, and at $100 a pop, that's a lot of money in service with a shop.

The ONLY thing that has given me even a bit of pause is that, as mentioned, ScubaPro has been in business for a long time, and they continue to support their discontinued models with service kits. HOG is a new company, and although I think they are doing well (and I hope they continue to do so!) one never knows how life is going to treat a young company. That concern didn't stop me from buying HOG regs, though.

I have posed the question in another thread and got no answer, so I'll try again here...

What makes a reg better than the other?

And this question is on specifics, my question(your answer) is focused on the in water portion of one-reg-is-better-than-the-other debate, if you would like to answer my question,please forget about cost, warranty, service, availability and other facts that do not affect performance, it's a strait forward question

What makes one reg better, mechanically, than the other?

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 PM ----------

I think I'm hijacking this thread, sorry.
If a mod wants to move my post as a new thread I wouldn't mind, I'm too lazy and a newbie to undo and fix it now

I have posed the question in another thread and got no answer, so I'll try again here...

What makes a reg better than the other?

And this question is on specifics, my question(your answer) is focused on the in water portion of one-reg-is-better-than-the-other debate, if you would like to answer my question,please forget about cost, warranty, service, availability and other facts that do not affect performance, it's a strait forward question

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 PM ----------

I think I'm hijacking this thread, sorry.
If a mod wants to move my post as a new thread I wouldn't mind, I'm too lazy and a newbie to undo and fix it now

Very good question. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer though.

Differences between them:

special edition - all black finish

Which rubs off eventually.
---------- Post Merged at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Last edited:
I Scubapro has been a major player in the SCUBA biz for 50 years.

Dacor was a major player also. I remember when the most popular car in the U.S. was an Olds Cutlass, now they no longer make Oldsmobiles, or Pontiacs, or Mercurys or AMC. So here today gone tomorrow.

---------- Post Merged at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:26 PM ----------

I agree. When folks inquire about which reg to utilize for tech purposes, they are really attempting to eliminate as many objections as they possibly can. Scubapro, Atomic and Apex still remain the gold standard IMO...

Apeks was on the ropes before Aqualung bought them and Atomic is owned by the same company that purchased Zeagle so who knows what is in store.

Mechanically, regs haven't changed much at all since, ummm well, ever. You've got basic piston regs, balanced piston regs, and diaphragm regs. There have been changes over the years, mostly changes in materials,number of ports,along with second stage balancing. Personally I find myself hard-pressed to tell much difference between my old(late 70's) and new current model regs, YMMV.

I am west of the Mississippi in California. Of the 20+ regulators I own, I own 4 HOG single sets and a HOG doubles set up. I have put 6 of my students into HOGs and have become a HOG repair tech and a HOG repair tech instructor.

My name is Robert, I am west of the Mississippi and I support HOG products.

What you should be asking is what is the differences between the regs? For example Apeks seconds the 20, 40, 50. The 20 is the base model, they replace a plastic spacer with a metal one and it becomes a 40, add an adjuster and now it is a 50. Change the covers and you have a 100 and 200. Lets look at Scubapro, the difference between a 295 and a 395 is a plastic flow vane, between a 555 and 600 is an adjuster yet there are major price differences between models because the regs are made not for performance but to hit price points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom