Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes see post # 384 just above. My issue with all that is that is is obvious that you can get better deals on some brands than their dealer agreements "allow", however the whole process is slimy IMHO. You shouldn't have to buy a product knowing that your warranty will be void if the "deal" you got is "discovered" by the manuf. Too many policies in place designed to penalize the consumer.

I had a moment a few years back, I was a rep for a major, walked into a store that I really enjoyed, but they did not carry much at all of the brand I repped. Anyhow the owner was in tears of frustration. He had just gotten off the phone pleading to keep his dealership with his main brand, seems the closest other dealer for his major brand had turned him in for discounting 20% to a family that had bought 4 sets of gear. They went diving with the other shop who got mad. Now, this owner KNEW what he did was a violation of the agreement, but he was competing with a "grey market" quote and wanted to make the deal. What destroyed him however was not being on the phone begging to keep the brand, it was that within 5 mins of his hanging up and being placed on "probation" and lectured that NOTHING justified discounting, he received a fax from that VERY same company offering him a discount of 25% if he would buy 6 regulators. That isn't irony, it is complete BS.
I took him out for pizza and beers and we talked diving for a couple hours that February day on the south side of Boston a decade ago, I decided to skip the opportunity to try and displace that other brand, instead we just sat and talked about what had gotten us both in this crazy industry. It was a opening that to be honest wasn't worth pushing, the brand I was working for would have done the same... It was however a moment I will never forget, now I refuse to play by the rules the "majors" try and impose because they suck, they are designed in a hall of smoke and mirrors to look good for the dealers but in reality they have DIRECTLY lead to the HORRIBLE condition the dive industry is in. Consumers hate the shops, shops hate the manufs and it ISN'T WORKING. Nobody is having fun and if we aren't having fun how can we sell people on a lifestyle of fun, adventure and exploration when we are just plain old miserable? We can't and we haven't.

While that is how MAP (minimum advertised price) works, that is not the way the dealer agreement with Scubapro or Aqualung work. That agreement is a minimum sale price (MSRP minus 10%). Retailer who violate that price restriction are subject to lose their dealership (as happened with Aqualung and Divesport). Of course, there are ways the retailer can get around it including mixed brand package deals and fake receipts. Maybe that is why it required an all Scubapro package to qualify for the current PFL program.

View attachment 132926

I have one and feel it is...but decide for yourself: Atomic Aquatics T2 Regulator - it's also $1599. :wink: 2 year service interval and limited lifetime warranty - not contingent on proof of service. So Atomic must feel the same way...lol.

Now we'll hear about how hideously overpriced and unneccessary Titanium is. Even though you clearly posted: money is not a issue.

It's not good with higher oxygen content mixes: Most people dive 32% nitrox max - but there is a small contingent of tech divers it doesn't work for. For them Atomic makes the M1.

But just about every major mfr's best reg is Titanium because Titanium doesn't corrode. And takes a beating. And is ultra-lightweight.

Google ScubaPro MK25T/S600T <- link - or Mares Abyss Titanium or Cressi Ellipse Titanium for other examples. Even the best Edge is Titanium. Edge Gear Extreme Titanium Regulator

Every Atomic breathes identically, the difference is the materials used - higher end models will also have 1st/2nd stage swivels or other features optimized for their intended use. For example the M1 is Monel, it's inert for any gas usage plus you can get a cave ring for the 2nd - makes disassembly/cleaning possible underwater.

I do have to admit that the ScubaPro was a close 2nd when I bought it. And it was even more $$ IIRC. In the end I probably went with Atomic because they're ex-ScubaPro engineers who felt they could design something better. Also the 2nd stage was physically more compact.

As much as I hate conflict I can't resist!
EDGE TI EXTREME

I just have to post that after reading all 40 pages and 392 posts(took about 8 hours) that I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. The usual back and forth you can find on any forum(or bar over sports teams) but with nice little nuggets of information hidden among it. I am to new to diving to have a real opinion one way or another on the regulator question and haven't dived with my HOG regulators yet(just arrived 10 minutes ago at my house and I am at work), the AL Titan i have used I liked but the breathing felt a little labored and yes they were rentals, the AL Titan LX Supreme Breathed great also and wasn't as bad on breathing labor. If I hadn't of decided to go with the HOG setup I would of gone for the AL Titan LX or Supreme although I was also looking at a used set of gear through my LDS but just didn't seem quite as nice as the HOG's, weren't balanced and more expensive.

The other selling point was the wife wouldn't be able to yell at me for spending so much on diving equipment, there is also a HOG LDS within 45 minutes of my house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom