HOG regulator free flows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I think your title is misleading, "Hog reg freeflows" when it sand stuck in the regulator not the make that caused the problem.

Second, any regulator with the venturi set in the dive position will freeflow on the surface, this is normal for a well tuned reg. Just ask Scubapro.

Third, as Tracy mentioned why would you purge a regulator at depth, when all you need to do is exhale?

Fourth, usually putting your fingers over the mouthpiece or pointing the mouthpiece down will stop the free flow.

Fifth, no buddy check?

Fourth, usually putting your fingers over the mouthpiece or pointing the mouthpiece down will stop the free flow.
I'll have to try this next dive, I am sure it will continue to freeflow with the mouthpiece pointed downwards as long as the purge button is depressed, and I am not certain I can stop air at 9 bar just with a finger over the mouthpiece either.

I'll have to try this next dive, I am sure it will continue to freeflow with the mouthpiece pointed downwards as long as the purge button is depressed, and I am not certain I can stop air at 9 bar just with a finger over the mouthpiece either.

It won't stop if you keep pressing the purge button, but if you are not pressing the purge button it will.

. . .
Third, as Tracy mentioned why would you purge a regulator at depth, when all you need to do is exhale?
. . .

I would do this. I realized I had gotten so into the habit of purging by exhaling that I forgot the purge button was an option. I became concerned that in an emergency I might not have a breath to purge and might not think to use the purge button, so I decided to get into the habit of always using the purge button. Poor logic?

What made you think you want another reg? Was there a problem breathing from the free flowing reg, or was it just annoying?

Sometimes regs fail. I got a stone in my (non-HOG) reg and it flooded. Unfortunately it flooded to such an extent that I could not get underpressure in the (flooded) reg -> no air. The water was coming in and compensating too fast. I had to operate the purge button. Then switched back to back gas. These things happen.

we are discussing a stuck purge button here.

The OP claims that it was 6 grains of sand but then orders a new purge cover to correct the problem. The two have nothing to do with each other. Also those 6 grains would need to be jammed into the hole where the lever inserts into the air tube. Personally I think the problem was that the reg was set up to loose and continued to free flow once purged because of the venturi effect. My Scubapros will do this too with the adjuster all the way out and the lever set to dive.

Sometimes smacking it with the flat of your hand will stop a free flow,too. I've had several free flows caused by small amounts of sand after being rolled in the surf a few times and I've found a light smack of the hand will stop the free flow. A good cleaning ( and disassembly if needed) on return will fix the problem for good.

Sometimes smacking it with the flat of your hand will stop a free flow,too. I've had several free flows caused by small amounts of sand after being rolled in the surf a few times and I've found a light smack of the hand will stop the free flow. A good cleaning ( and disassembly if needed) on return will fix the problem for good.

I was actually going to suggest this early on in the thread, but thought that "smaking the regulator" was not an appropriate response from a HOG Service Instructor. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom