HOG Service Kit price bump, more than 50% more expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I just sitting here blinking.

I own HOG regs. I took a class. I can service them myself. The parts kits could cost $50, and it would still be an enormous savings over what I was previously paying a shop to do my regulator service. All I can say is, "Thanks, Chris, and if you need to charge this much to cover what the parts cost you (and make some money, as you ought) go for it!"

One more thing, HOG should review their distribution system in Canada. They have a master distributor here that seems to take his cut without providing much service to his dealers.

Good question Belmont. In this age of internet ordering, free trade, and relativly inexpensive shipping, I cannot see why Canada requires and extra middleman in between the manufacturer and the consumer. My LDS indicated that their cost for Dive Rite product dropped considerably once the CDN distributor closed shop and they started purchasing directly from DR. Maybe thats a big reason why we seem to get shafted when it comes to retail here compared to the US, and that's not a dive gear specific issue. Everyone is entitled to make a living, but if you are interested in providing value to consumers, the whole supply chain has to be considered. I'm lucky to have several LDS' who do their best to provide value, but I hate to see them slitting their throats to line the pockets of some distrubitor that is not adding value. Better to support the local shop who is there to help when I need it.

Sad part is I can order from the us to Canada online with free shipping and even after paying duty and hst it is still cheaper. Sometimes the local stores just can't match the price.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

Actually, being Canadian it bothers me to admit the problem is the Canadian Govt. Prior to having a distributer in Canada, I would deal with the dealers exactly like down here, there were a TON of issues.

Canada Post lost 1 in 4 packages to Canada, I could not absorb that high a loss, insurance was a PITA to chase constantly.

Customs, delays and BS constantly, plus the duty was never applied in a consistent manner

UPS or Fedex, just ended up being darn expensive with brokerage fees.

The current system the prices to my Canadian dealers is VERY close to that of the US dealers and in fact lower for the dealers than if i send direct to them and let them deal with customs.

Good question Belmont. In this age of internet ordering, free trade, and relativly inexpensive shipping, I cannot see why Canada requires and extra middleman in between the manufacturer and the consumer. My LDS indicated that their cost for Dive Rite product dropped considerably once the CDN distributor closed shop and they started purchasing directly from DR. Maybe thats a big reason why we seem to get shafted when it comes to retail here compared to the US, and that's not a dive gear specific issue. Everyone is entitled to make a living, but if you are interested in providing value to consumers, the whole supply chain has to be considered. I'm lucky to have several LDS' who do their best to provide value, but I hate to see them slitting their throats to line the pockets of some distrubitor that is not adding value. Better to support the local shop who is there to help when I need it.

I agree with Chris' last post about prices from Canadian dealers being very close to the American dealers. My local HOG dealer has sold me regs, bp/w and now fins, and all the prices have been within a few dollars of what I could find from American shops. A couple items were cheaper than I could find online, even with the shipping to Canada excluded. Anyone familiar with shopping in Canada, would find that surprising to say the least!

Keep up the great work Chris. I really love my HOG gear!

Actually, being Canadian it bothers me to admit the problem is the Canadian Govt. Prior to having a distributer in Canada, I would deal with the dealers exactly like down here, there were a TON of issues.

Canada Post lost 1 in 4 packages to Canada, I could not absorb that high a loss, insurance was a PITA to chase constantly.

Customs, delays and BS constantly, plus the duty was never applied in a consistent manner

UPS or Fedex, just ended up being darn expensive with brokerage fees.

The current system the prices to my Canadian dealers is VERY close to that of the US dealers and in fact lower for the dealers than if i send direct to them and let them deal with customs.

I know what your talking about cross border shipping hassles. For a while in our business it was easier to ship to a po box in Bellingham and drive from Vancouver to pick up product to clear customs personally. Chris, please don't take my comments to personally, it's was just a comment about retail in general, and I hope your CDN distributor can continue to hold the line in prices. You definitely have a great product at fantastic pricing and you should be applauded for that.

Mark

---------- Post Merged at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I agree with Chris' last post about prices from Canadian dealers being very close to the American dealers. My local HOG dealer has sold me regs, bp/w and now fins, and all the prices have been within a few dollars of what I could find from American shops. A couple items were cheaper than I could find online, even with the shipping to Canada excluded. Anyone familiar with shopping in Canada, would find that surprising to say the least!

Keep up the great work Chris. I really love my HOG gear!

Nibs, I'm guessing you got your gear from Denise, I got my first set of HOG regs from her as well. Great person and great ambassador for the brand. I wouldn't hesitate to use her again, but now with a couple dealers in Calgary, it's much more convenient than driving to RMH. Maybe I'll see you at the Sylvan Lake cleanup in Sept.

Yes, Denise is my local dealer and instructor. She got me hooked on diving last year, and I've never looked back! I'm looking forward to the Sylvan clean up, I hit a whopping 10' max depth last year!

Yes, Denise is my local dealer and instructor. She got me hooked on diving last year, and I've never looked back! I'm looking forward to the Sylvan clean up, I hit a whopping 10' max depth last year!

You must have brought a shovel, my computer showed 8' :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom