Hog service manual frustration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tr4lover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I am recently certified though Dive right in for the HOG service. The class was very good and I truly learned a lot. Dive right told us it could be 2 weeks in order to get the service manuals. Seeing as I am leaving this Saturday for Cozumel I was hoping to service my other hog regs. I have emailed HOG 6 days ago with proof of cert with no response. I know when Chris used to work for them he was able to send a PDF of the manual. Looks like ill be getting a set of deep6 regulators when I return.

Fun diving
Steven

After you have done the normal health checks on the regulator(s) you'll be bringing with you and they check out OK, I'd wait until you get back to tear into them. Right after service is the most likely time for regulators to fail.

Hi everyone,

I am recently certified though Dive right in for the HOG service. The class was very good and I truly learned a lot. Dive right told us it could be 2 weeks in order to get the service manuals. Seeing as I am leaving this Saturday for Cozumel I was hoping to service my other hog regs. I have emailed HOG 6 days ago with proof of cert with no response. I know when Chris used to work for them he was able to send a PDF of the manual. Looks like ill be getting a set of deep6 regulators when I return.

Fun diving
Steven
^

If it is your first time to service your own regs, I would wait until you get back home.
By all means bring along any special tools required and service kits just in case.
Have a nice trip.

That sounds odd. During my class we were given access to all HOG service manuals through a Dropbox link.

@Jim Lapenta ?

Hi everyone,

Fun diving
Steven

Not sure who you are corresponding with but the person at Edge-HOG that you need to get in touch with is:
Jack Schmidt
edgediving.technicalservices@gmail.com
He normally works at the Marietta Georgia "Divers Supply" shop (770-419-1976)

-Z

What part of the servicing do you not feel comfortable doing without the service manual on hand? If you have specific questions about things like torque, maybe someone here can provide those details for you.

In addition to the dropbox/google drive resource, I always provided my students with a printed copy of the manual. I may be old school but I feel a printed copy is easier to use and less likely to result in a section getting skipped.
In those manuals I also included a laminated schematic of each stage so that you could have hanging/laying in front of you. Laminating them makes them less likely to get messed up and they are easy to wipe off.
Getting access to the manuals requires the instructor to email Jack Schmidt who will email you a link.
In the past he has always gotten that done within a couple of days for me.
I don't know what his workload is like now but it has never taken more than 4-5 days from the time I sent him a name and email address.

Hi everyone,

Fun diving
Steven

They'll breath the same, D6 vs HOG. Wait until after you get back to do anything as someone else said. If the ip is steady and the cracking pressure is on point, I'd wait.

Personally, I'd wait until the ip starts to creep. Get yourself a backup 1st and 2nd to take with you, and do the rebuild when you have allllllllll the time in the world to take your time.. a few days before a trip is asking for trouble.

I own all D6, love them. Free parts for life is an added bonus.

One of the first things you should have learned in the class is that a full rebuild is the last thing you want to undertake immediately before something like a trip.....

Back
Top Bottom