Hog total BCD ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant use a lift due to regulations...I can only bring up what my bc will carry. If I find a complete rice mill stone I am gonna have to go back to the drawing board...:)
What is the approximate maximum artifact weight you're looking to bring to the surface? Based on your need for a 60lb BC, I'm assuming some of the items are quite heavy (15lb + ?). If that is the case, please listen to @tbone1004 this is a really bad idea. Trying to arrest a rapid ascent if you drop something that heavy will be nye on impossible and is very likely to result in a world of pain.

I understand why you want to comply with regulations, but putting yourself in real danger to do so really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Zef
I cant use a lift due to regulations...I can only bring up what my bc will carry. If I find a complete rice mill stone I am gonna have to go back to the drawing board...:)
I imagine you know what happens if you happen to drop the thing you are lifting during ascent ?

I've picked some very heavy objects and have never managed to drop them. It's even less likely if you use a bag. Those who haven't done it have a natural fear of imagined consequences that are actually pretty rare. Are you allowed to mark anything with a buoy? If so, use a 3/8" nylon rope of an appropriate length, tie one end to the object, the other to a safety sausage and shoot it to the surface. Then simply find the marker and use the rope to pull it up while on the boat. Of course, I don't know the rules you're operating under, so that might also be illegal. I did that more for comfort than safety. :D :D :D

If you want to use a doubles wing on a Back Plate though, make a "spreader plate". I used a piece of aluminum, bent down the middle with holes drilled for the STA and every inch or so along the edge. That was for a 100# bungeed wing of death which served me well for hundreds of dives. It was a low tech solution before there were many single wings on the market. I still have the spreader plate, though someone offered me an insane amount of money for my old IQ system and I let it go.

I am only diving 20ft to 25 ft 99 % of the time....

Which is the most dangerous depth range as the compression/expansion is in the "double" range....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom