Hold breath or blow bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When freediving, should one hold his/her breath the entire time or blow bubbles while ascending or does it not matter?

Thanks.

Spit the snorkel out as you leave the surface, and hold your breath.

Here is Mandy-Rae Cruickshank demonstrating just that:

MandyDemosEntry2.jpg

All the best, James

Thanks fdog. Any idea what type of fins he is using? They look much longer than anything I have seen.

She's wearing freediving fins, which are long and very efficient.

The particular fins are C4 Flap fins, made from carbon fiber in Italy and, although sticker shock for most of us, worth every penny for a competitive freediver.

All the best, James

I just bought Beuchat mundial competition plastic blade long fin, It's my first long fin. (I'm noob in freediving)

How about it efficiency?

When freediving, should one hold his/her breath the entire time or blow bubbles while ascending or does it not matter?

Thanks.

There is no need to exhale as you ascend (like you must do when scuba diving) since there is no danger of lung over expansion. Also, if you exhale on your ascent, you will reduce your buoyancy.

Hmmm. Wow. Ummm....

I think you might be mistaking her competition freediving wetsuit as skin...

Trust me: Mandy-Rae Cruickshank is a she. A very nice person, very professional, an awesome coach in the water and skillz that we can only dream of.

mandy_photo6.jpg

Mandy%20wet%2025.jpg

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom