Holiday in Malaysia in january

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budasub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone on the forum, I am planning a holiday in Malaysia from January 8 to February 5, someone on the weather at this time of information? you recommended places to visit ?I love Macro but I also like the pelagic, thank you all for the information to plan my vacation and sorry for my english not very good

This will be the rainy season and can be very wet.

The best place for diving is Sipadan off Borneo. You can also visit tioman Island and Langkawi.

The weather should be a lot better in thailand , off the west coast...so Ko Lanta , Phi Phi and the Similans.

Thanks for the info , I would know if someone was there in the months of January and February ? being in the period of rains it rains all day ? or there chance to take even a little sunlight?

Most hotels and dive centers on the islands off the east coast (Perhentian, Tioman, Redang) will be closed since those months are in the Northeast monsoon season. To be clear, it doesn't just rain, there are often high waves and rough sea conditions which would render any diving pointless.

Your best bet for diving would indeed be in Sabah. Perhaps Kota Kinabalu might also be an option though nothing compares to Sipadan. For macro Mabul offers a good amount of sights and for the big stuff you can go out to Sipadan.

Hello everyone on the forum, I am planning a holiday in Malaysia from January 8 to February 5, someone on the weather at this time of information? you recommended places to visit ?I love Macro but I also like the pelagic, thank you all for the information to plan my vacation and sorry for my english not very good

That time of the year, your options are pretty much around Sabah, primarily Mabul/Kapalai and Sipadan. Those areas are supposed to be all year diving and Mabul is great for macro while Sipadan is great for the pelagic stuff. You sometimes get great pelagic stuff around Mabul too, but not as guaranteed as Sipadan.

Kota Kinabalu can be considered, but it's nowhere near as good as Mabul and Sipadan. It's also the rainy season then, so although diving can be done year round, visibility isn't as good. The Tunku Abdul Rahman Park (TARP), where most of the diving is done, is also a full day trip. It's a lot cheaper than Mabul/Sipadan though.

The east coast of peninsula Malaysia is a no-go during this period. The monsoon there is Nov - Mar and it's not so much the amount of rain but the massive waves that are a concern. Most resorts are closed during this period and even the local fishermen don't go out to sea.

There isn't really much good diving on the west coast of peninsula Malaysia. Langkawi diving isn't great and better for snorkelling really. If you must dive in that area, I would suggest you take the 1 hour ferry from Langkawi to Kohe Lipe in Thailand, where diving is better. Better yet, take a liveaboard from Phuket and dive the Similans.

I
Thanks for the info , I would know if someone was there in the months of January and February ? being in the period of rains it rains all day ? or there chance to take even a little sunlight?
honestly would not go to Malaysia in January....Thailand and the Philippines are far better. If you do go and it rains lot , with Air asia and or overland you can move to the nearby countries. Malaysia is not the cleanest country I have very been to , and when it rains lots of rubbish and drain water covers roads etc.etc.

The west coast should be OK during the period you have in mind. Although west coast diving cannot compare to the quality the east coast offers, conditions should be good. I have only dived in Pulau Payar (marine park off Langkawi) and conditions and diving were good but not necessarily worth traveling around the world for. On the other hand, this was a nice addition to a holiday which had not been designed to be dive-specific.

I guess that if the main purpose for travel is diving in Malaysia, then the timing is a bit off - if, on the other hand, the main reason is to see parts of the country, and get some diving in while there, it can certainly be done.

Thanks guys for the information, I have stay in Thailand the Philippines and Indonesia, I was considering to change destination for this year, I have only the period of January, to this point I could go back in indonesia or Philippines and other good points where I have not already been, if you have other tips accept them willingly

Maldives? Sri Lanka? Oman, even?

Back
Top Bottom