Hollis 500SE Side Vent Breathes Very Wet - Are Poseidon Any Better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Did a pool test of a Hollis 500SE side vent reg and found it breathed very wet whenever my head was in a vertical position (a lot of what I do when shooting video).

I know there a lot of Poseidon users/fans on this board. Would you say the Xstream or Jetstream breathe dryer?
I wish I could test one here in SoCal, but don't know of anyone who has one.

Hi,

I've never used Hollis regs so I can't speak for them, but as for Poseidons, I've been a happy owner of Cyklons metal for over a decade now, and I've never had any 'wet breathing' issues with them in any position.
I've tried Xstreams and Jetstreams a couple of times and never had a problem either, although I can't say I've dived them enough in the long run.
The two things that have bothered me with my Poseidon reg addiction over the years are the mouthpieces (I just get smaller ones) and the freaking hoses. If I'm not mistaken Jetstreams and Xstreams have cheap adaptors available but Cyklons are a pain to deal with, since Omniswivel seems to be the only option and is $$$. Cyklons can be a pain too if you're looking for an environmentally sealed, swivel turret / 5th port 1st stage (hello sidemount), since their IP runs at 11.5 bar.

My Poseidon Jetstream breathes completely dry in any position and is the best breathing regulator that I have used in the last 36 years!

Never had anything but dry breathing from my Poseidons. The new Cyklon first stages and seconds use standard reg hoses, the whole "need a hose with an OPV" system is gone now (thank goodness).

Never had anything but dry breathing from my Poseidons. The new Cyklon first stages and seconds use standard reg hoses, the whole "need a hose with an OPV" system is gone now (thank goodness).
Hi RainPilot,
What do you mean by new Cyklons? Are you referring to the Cyklon X?
I was under the impression that Cyklon 2nd stages still required Omniswivel adaptors to mate with standard hoses.
(I wasn't referring to the 1st stage, which have had UNF3/8 for low-pressure and UNF7/16 for high pressure ports for a while now.)
What is this new Cyklon 2nd that fits into a standard reg hose?

Hi RainPilot,
What do you mean by new Cyklons? Are you referring to the Cyklon X?
I was under the impression that Cyklon 2nd stages still required Omniswivel adaptors to mate with standard hoses.
(I wasn't referring to the 1st stage, which have had UNF3/8 for low-pressure and UNF7/16 for high pressure ports for a while now.)
What is this new Cyklon 2nd that fits into a standard reg hose?
I meant the Cyklon 5000 but I have dropped a line to Poseidon for clarification. When I did my service tech course recently, we discussed how they had moved away from proprietary hose fittings on all regs since the Mk3 Jetstream/XStream by incorporating the OPV in the 1st stage and not in the hoses. I took that to mean the new model Cyklons as well but I will confirm once they get back to me.

Well, as I was typing I just got a message, the Cyklons indeed have an M14 nut which needs an adapter to 9/16, as made by Omniswivel. Learn something new every day.

Well, as I was typing I just got a message, the Cyklons indeed have an M14 nut which needs an adapter to 9/16, as made by Omniswivel. Learn something new every day.
Alas! I had high hopes for a moment :)
They're fantastic breathers nonetheless~

I have not used the Xstream but the Jetstream and the Cyklons that I own are perfectly dry and have been my favorite regs for over 35 years.

Unless something gets in the diaphragm, they should all be dry. That said, the Xstream is going to be the least prone to leaking of the lot since it does not use a common inhale/exhale diaphragm.
The key with the Jetstreams to keep them dry is making sure that the dive-predive switch is always set to dive when you are storing them.

The 500se's are known to breathe wet though.

@rsingler has more experience with both and seems to like his 500se though, so to each their own.

I have never had that problem with my Cyklons/Jetstreams over 20 years of relation. To be honest with you, I had to search a little to understand what "wet breathing" was (I am a Cuban from Cuba), because I had never felt it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom