Hollis and Oceanic Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckDiver1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just out of curiosity...
Are Hollis and Oceanic regs manufactured by the same people? I own a Hollis 221 and have looked quite thoroughly at the Hollis 212. I recently looked at some Oceanic regs and some parts, such as the exhaust tee and diver adjustment knobs, look awful similar.

Just out of curiosity...
Are Hollis and Oceanic regs manufactured by the same people? I own a Hollis 221 and have looked quite thoroughly at the Hollis 212. I recently looked at some Oceanic regs and some parts, such as the exhaust tee and diver adjustment knobs, look awful similar.

Oceanic...Hollis.....and Aeris, are all the same company (just diff brands/pricing/marketing) Hollis is Oceanic's 'tech' brand.

Oceanic...Hollis.....and Aeris, are all the same company (just diff brands/pricing/marketing) Hollis is Oceanic's 'tech' brand.

I really wish all this marketing crap would just go away. Are Hollis regs better because they are marketed as tech regs? NO they are the same as the equivalent Oceanic or Aeris regs. all this marketing does is confuse new divers. If you want to see what the real "TECH" regs are, just observe and see what the real "TECH" divers (if there is really such a thing)are using, because they use what works and not what some marketing guy that probably does 10 dives a year in the tropics on vacation says are tech regs. Me personally have settled on HOG regs because they are of a solid proven design and are priced right.

I think Bob Hollis, the founder/owner of Oceanic and Aeris, just wanted a brand with his own name on it that catered to the tech crowd. If I was selling products, I'd want my name on one of the lines too.

They certainly are the same regs; the Hollis 212 is essentially the same as the Oceanic Eos second stage, but with a different faceplate. The Hollis DC2 first stage is essentially the same as the Oceanic FDX10. This is according to the service tech training folks I asked about this a few months back.

There are some differences in the lines; the Hollis DC4/DC3/DC1 are variations on the same basic theme, but unique to the Hollis line and designed for the tech market. Part of this is just market segmentation, part is the different needs/wants of the different kinds of purchasers.

The Oceanic, Aeris, and Hollis brands are all part of American Underwater Products. The products developed under AUP are spread across the brands as needed, but there are some unique features/products for each line. For example, their computers/guages are all developed by Pelagic, which is a division of AUP, and distributed by Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis depending on the features/prices desired in the particular market they're aimed at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom