Hollis C45 VS Halcyon Evolve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccohn2000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone here used the Hollis C45 wing? I am interested in how it compares to the Halcyon Evolve. The shape is somewhat similar but the wing is a lot less expensive. ($300 compared to $445) I've heard the Evolve is quite nice but I can't find anything on the Hollis.

It appears that Hollis has copied Halcyons design (i haven't held both bladders side by side to truely compare). The corners on he Halcyon appear to be more rounded to make it a little more hydrodynamic in the water. The other difference is Hollis added extra mounting holes & cam band slots (both are unnecessary). The rear dump ball is extremely big and they changed the the rear dump. I haven't looked to see if it is an odd ball design. If it is, it is better to have the main stream OPV that way if you ever had a problem with it, it would be easier to fix.

I have taken divers out of other doubles wings and put them in the Evolve series wings and have seen immediate improvement so my choice is simple. I know there is a difference in price, but I would rather go with a leader than a follower and it is made in the US as well.

So basically you haven't even seen (much less used) a Hollis wing in person, but found it necessary to comment on a thread asking for those with actual experience with the product in question? :shakehead:

You're a riot. You constantly feel the need to pimp Halcyon gear on this board (since you sell it, duh) even when you have no basis for responding to the actual question at hand. You're fast becoming a bad joke on this and other boards.

It appears that Hollis has copied Halcyons design (i haven't held both bladders side by side to truely compare). The corners on he Halcyon appear to be more rounded to make it a little more hydrodynamic in the water. The other difference is Hollis added extra mounting holes & cam band slots (both are unnecessary). The rear dump ball is extremely big and they changed the the rear dump. I haven't looked to see if it is an odd ball design. If it is, it is better to have the main stream OPV that way if you ever had a problem with it, it would be easier to fix.

I have taken divers out of other doubles wings and put them in the Evolve series wings and have seen immediate improvement so my choice is simple. I know there is a difference in price, but I would rather go with a leader than a follower and it is made in the US as well.

So basically you haven't even seen (much less used) a Hollis wing in person, but found it necessary to comment on a thread asking for those with actual experience with the product in question? :shakehead:

You're a riot. You constantly feel the need to pimp Halcyon gear on this board (since you sell it, duh) even when you have no basis for responding to the actual question at hand. You're fast becoming a bad joke on this and other boards.

Copying another competitor's product certainly seems to be worthy of discussion. Certainly not the activity of the truly innovative. However, it was most definitely a mistake by Halcyon to have not protected via patent.

No one hawks their products on-line more than DSS. Has a similar protest been issued?

Silly defenses of stupid posts isn't helping you or Wayne.

Um, it's a doubles wing. Look at ANY from various manfucturers. They clearly ALL look somewhat alike. The Hollis is no more a "copy" of the Halcyon than the Halcyon is a copy of the OxyCheq or DSS wings.

And please, find ONE post by either Tobin (DSS owner) or a re-seller of DSS products commenting on products for which they have no personal experience when it's exactly personal experience that the OP is seeking. I eagerly await you posting such examples...

Copying another competitor's product certainly seems to be worthy of discussion. Certainly not the activity of the truly innovative. However, it was most definitely a mistake by Halcyon to have not protected via patent.

No one hawks their products on-line more than DSS. Has a similar protest been issued?

I am still a relatively new guy on the block on the boards but I believe Halcyon was the first to introduce the donut doubles wing. If so, they or their supporters have every right to take a shot at the copycats. I really have no dog in this fight. Just chiming in with discussion...

I am still a relatively new guy on the block on the boards but I believe Halcyon was the first to introduce the donut doubles wing.

Wrong (and not even close).

But then again, this is the internet, no need to have any opinions based on fact or actual experience... :shakehead:

Wrong (and not even close).

But then again, this is the internet, no need to have any opinions based on fact or actual experience... :shakehead:

Who is credited with designing and taking to market? By the way, I have much respect for your posts...

And I've generally had much respect for your posts as well. In this case, though, there's no reason to defend someone posting without the asked for experience in the OP. It's pointless.

In any case, I'm done with this thread. How about we leave it to those with the asked for experience to respond?

By the way, I have much respect for your posts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom