Hollis Explorer rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the Poseidon MKVI also and I am doing the qualifier course on the Explorer next month.

The main difference is the Explorer is an eSCR. The electronics changes the set pp02 to maximize the NDL and bottom time. So you can set the pp02 to 1.4 at depth but when you ascend, it changes the pp02 to as low as 0.3, 0.4 to maximize your oxygen. In other models like the Drager, SCRs release a constant stream of bubbles. The Explorer decides when it wants to be a CCR and when it wants to be a SCR, for greater gas efficiency.

This unit was developed by tec and rebreather authority, Kevin Gurr. Like the Evo, the Explorer also has a temp stick in addition to a CO2 sensor. Of course it has the 3 O2 sensors as well. The front of the unit is sleek because the counterlungs are inside the module and can be cleaned easily. Another great feature that Kevin designed was a spring in the scrubber canister. It the scrubber is not installed, it is physically impossible to breathe on the rig. The scrubber also comes in pre-packed canisters.
The other great thing about the spring in the canister is green. So if I am an instructor, I can just look down the line real quick to see if the scrubbers have been installed.
View attachment 155667

About your nitrox question, the explorer can take different levels of nitrox. It works best on an EANx40 but can also do an EANX36 or x32. It also has a very simple HUD. It is green when everything is good, flashes blue-green when there is a message...the electronics may recommend ascending to a shallower depth, if it goes red then switch to the BOV and ascend.
View attachment 155668
The Explorer also has integrated weights which is SO much better than a weight belt. Plus you get the comfortable harness that comes standard with Hollis. Hope that answered your question!

This sounds like what I've been waiting on for a LONG time; A re-breather that is simple to setup, maintain, use and is financially in the realm of possibility. I have been interested in CCR's for as far back as I can remember but there have always been obstacles to my seriously pursuing. For me, diving is supposed to be fun, not overly complex, dangerous (realizing risk is a personal & subjective thing), widely available and affordable to the common man. I was excited with the MKVI but I think my dream of becoming a fish (being silent under the ocean) is finally over... Thanks for all the excellent information, now time to start searching the couch cushions, buttering up the wife and making plans!!!

Does anyone know how much the pre-filled scrubbers will cost? I read on another forum that you either have to buy a new one every time, or a specially trained shop may be allowed to repack yours.

I'm idly curious about the unit, but the cost per dive seems like it would have to be very high if you can't maintain your own scrubber.

The Retail Unit has been delayed until Aug/Sept - after much feed back (from Instructors / Trainers), there are a few revisions before its hitting the public.

They have not decided on a pre-pack yet so the first units will come with the pro-pack refill scrubber also the first units will come standard with BP/W later they will add the BC. I just finished my training at dive Alabama last week, their biggest problem right now is software. Everyday we dove started with a download.

The Retail Unit has been delayed until Aug/Sept - after much feed back (from Instructors / Trainers), there are a few revisions before its hitting the public.

Good to know... It'll be at least a year before I can scrounge the money to get qualified on one and I want all the bugs worked out. Who knows when or if I'll ever be able to afford one... :)

They have not decided on a pre-pack yet so the first units will come with the pro-pack refill scrubber also the first units will come standard with BP/W later they will add the BC. I just finished my training at dive Alabama last week, their biggest problem right now is software. Everyday we dove started with a download.

From what I have been told the extend-a-air cartridges the optima uses would work with the unit and the big hold up was with Hollis wanting branded cartridges and getting enough of a discount to sell them with out their dealers losing money.

Also last I heard the CO2 sensor will be an after purchase upgrade and the first units don't ship with them. This may change though.

Daru

Does anyone know how much the pre-filled scrubbers will cost? I read on another forum that you either have to buy a new one every time, or a specially trained shop may be allowed to repack yours.

I'm idly curious about the unit, but the cost per dive seems like it would have to be very high if you can't maintain your own scrubber.

The cartridges that the optima uses are priced at 250 for eight cartridges on add helium last time I looked so expect something close to that unless hollis is using a custom cartridge and they brought enough to get some good pricing.

Daru

I have heard the cartridge that the mk6 uses but that has been awhile. What I found interesting was the fact they did not want to talk about the pre-packed and stated that all current units will ship with the pro-pack self fill scrubber so I wonder what's up.

If the Explorer scrubbers are about $250 for 8, and a cartridge lasts for a maximum of 2 hours, that is about $16/hr in consumables before gas . Is that typical for a rebreather?

Then again, a simple nitrox fill is about $12-15 up here, I think, so the price difference is not tremendous.

That two hours is average, in warmer water (test data is like 40degrees) your scrubber lasts longer. In 70+ water you will hit gas or deco limit first. Oh on cost you also have to figure in cell replacement every 12-18 months baring premature failure (cells are 60-80dollars each total 3). It never pays to compare price OC vs. CCR-SCR cause they are different animals your pay off is silence, warm gas, no dry mouth, and usually longer duration. Also on really deep stuff it's cheaper on helium and deco is more refined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom