Hollis F1's vs Freediving fins vs Jets - A dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last weekend I had the pleasure of diving warmer water down in Southern California.
It was wonderful being able to dive in a one piece 7 mil with a hooded vest for 70 minute dives and not get cold.

We did three dives on this particular dive boat I was on.
I had an opportunity to use three different fins on each dive to do a comparison side by side of three different fins.
Dive one - Hollis F1's
Dive two - Picasso full foot freediving fins (used with socks)
Dive three - Scubapro Jet fins.

The Hollis fins where loaned to me by a friend.
When I splashed for my first dive and after got situated on the way down and on the bottom, my buddy and I decided to ditch the crowds and hit the island walls to look for lobsters. We covered a lot of ground. The F1's were OK for me.
I didn't notice any more power with them than Jets, frog kicking was OK but not as good as I would have hoped. It almost seemed like with the slightly rounded sides they didn't dig in quite like Jet's do. I can't quite put my finger on it but they seemed to slightly lack in any fin kick style I tried. I even tried to do some porpoise kicks and toe kicks. They seemed to fall a little flat even doing those. For scissor kicking it seemed like they were fairly hard to kick with not much payoff.
To tell you the truth I was a little disapointed. I was hoping for more. It's not that they didn't work, they just they didn't work that well.

Freediving fins provided a lot of power but wore me out. My hamstrings are still feeling it. On the second dive we covered an immense amout of ground including a very long sand trip back to the boat looking for halibut, which we didn't see any. The freediving fins provided the most power and thrust but I payed heavily for it. In order to use those I would need to be in way better shape. I would have to do regular pool work with them to stay in shape to use them with scuba gear.
We were using big steel 130's and getting 70 to 75 minutes of dive time and still coming back wiyth 1600 to 1800 PSI.
Both of us use low profile Freedom Plates.

The last dive I used Jets. My buddy uses Jets and he wanted to try the F1's so we traded.
Ah, good 'ol Jets, still my favorite. The best for frog kicking, porpoise kicking, toe flip kicking, and are OK fpor scissor kicking, not great but OK. There are fins that are worse.

Overall, I still come full circle back to Jets. I just think they will hold a record for a very long time as the overall best tried and trued fin of all time.

Besides me doing a fin test, my buddy was doing a drysuit vs wetsuit drag test on his own (I found out later). He started in his DUI drysuit and did a dive, then decided he was too warm and stuffy so decided to go wet for the second and third dives. He was amazed at the added slickness and slipstreaming of a wetsuit vs a drysuit. The drysuit he claimed was like dragging a parachute or a clump of kelp (his words). I wouldn't know, I've never used a bag drysuit but it sounds like it makes sense?

So if you were in better shape, do you think the freedive fins would be your favorite?

I swim twice a week in mine in the pool and kick hard enough to get sore from pool training, but I rarely get sore from actual diving.

So if you were in better shape, do you think the freedive fins would be your favorite?

I swim twice a week in mine in the pool and kick hard enough to get sore from pool training, but I rarely get sore from actual diving.
Maybe. I usually only use them for freediving and it's been a long time since I've been out freediving so I haven't used them at all since August.
I think they are something you really have to keep up with to keep the muscles in shape.
I think if I was able to get into good enough shape with them to easily scuba dive then yes they might just become my go to fin for bug diving.
The speed and power is phenomenal, and that's what is needed for lobster diving where we cover an immense amount of ground.

Maybe. I usually only use them for freediving and it's been a long time since I've been out freediving so I haven't used them at all since August.
I think they are something you really have to keep up with to keep the muscles in shape.
I think if I was able to get into good enough shape with them to easily scuba dive then yes they might just become my go to fin for bug diving.
The speed and power is phenomenal, and that's what is needed for lobster diving where we cover an immense amount of ground.

Great write up Eric!
For the freedive fin "ease of use" for my muscles, I ride a time trial bike 3 to 4 days per week, 25 to 35 miles each day....and make these pretty high paced rides :)
The muscles used are almost identical, and with clipped pedals on the bike, the proper mechanics is to pull the pedal backwards ( with your hamstring) from the going down position, like you are trying to scrap the "sh*t" off of your shoes....and the hips help engage your hamstrings and quadriceps, which spin the pedals..... So even if I missed 2 months with a hurricane season or something, I could get back into the water like I had been doing it every day.....like my buddy Jimmy Abernethy ( who dives every day, and does not ride a bike :)

Jimmy is another photographer/videographer that uses speed and efficiency to get shots normal divers can not.....considering National Geographic has over 500 of his pictures in stock, I think this says alot about what optimizing can do--if you want to strive for optimal :)

I used to ride a road bike about 300 + miles a week up in the mountains of Sonoma County, on the same exact roads that Greg LeMond and Lance Armstrong trained for the Tour de France. I'd do the 106 mile route out to the coast and back. That was back in 1991-92 when I was into it.
Now I just do weight workouts and some high rep leg curls to try and keep the hams in shape.
There's nothing like doing actual diving though. I wish I had more free time to hit the beaches here.

Great write up Eric!
For the freedive fin "ease of use" for my muscles, I ride a time trial bike 3 to 4 days per week, 25 to 35 miles each day....and make these pretty high paced rides :)
The muscles used are almost identical, and with clipped pedals on the bike, the proper mechanics is to pull the pedal backwards ( with your hamstring) from the going down position, like you are trying to scrap the "sh*t" off of your shoes....and the hips help engage your hamstrings and quadriceps, which spin the pedals..... So even if I missed 2 months with a hurricane season or something, I could get back into the water like I had been doing it every day.....like my buddy Jimmy Abernethy ( who dives every day, and does not ride a bike :)

Jimmy is another photographer/videographer that uses speed and efficiency to get shots normal divers can not.....considering National Geographic has over 500 of his pictures in stock, I think this says alot about what optimizing can do--if you want to strive for optimal :)

Back
Top Bottom