Hollis SMS 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its been explained repeatedly.... TRIM
When you breath down your tanks and you're in a dry suit you WANT some lift further up, otherwise you'll be top-heavy.
I wasn't asking you Andy, I know you don't have an answer other than repeating the xdeep sales pitch.

That video you posted doesn't work but it doesn't matter. I've also been using dry suits for almost 20 years. You can dump a should valve in the same position you can dump the suit in. It's the same thing!

I'm tired of agueing with you Andy, you never adress specific points. You keep ignoring and evading the points I've been trying to make, over and over again.
You don't seem to realise that you what different features in a steel rig vs a warm water AL rig. That's why many FL cave divers have more than one rig. In a stealth type rig you WILL get top heavy!

The stealth tec get bulky as *%&§, as it puts most of the gas in the same place as the normal stealth does. If the bladder is partly filled, the wing looks pretty much exactly the same as the classic. The manufacturers can put in baffles, bungees in or whatever but as long as they use a bag type bladder on your back, the wing will always get bulky.

You don't need to ask, I'm content to correct nonsense when it might otherwise misinform divers looking for good advice on the forum.

If YOU have a problem with drysuit trim and dumping, then I suggest you look for a solution. But generalising YOUR problem into some sort of common fault is.. well, it's just some sort of self-denial mechanism.

If a diver needs to drop trim to vent their drysuit, or has to rely on a top-located LPI, then there is some sort of foundational weakness in their skillset.

I'm not a salesman for XDeep, but I do feel obliged to correct ridiculous statements made about decent gear. I was writing articles on sidemount design heritage and have been consulting to sidemount manufacturers for many years. There some really great rigs on the market nowadays, XDeep is just one of them.

2004 called and wants it's top-mounted inflators back...

XDeep is a Polish company.... as far as my geography goes... that's not a warm-water, wetsuit diving nation?!? Their kit was proven in ice-cold mine and cave diving. Do an image search and there's many more pictures of drysuit clad divers in XDeep than wetsuit. It's used by some very credible, field-leading divers.

FB_IMG_1479663821266.jpg

I dive a variety of rigs and don't have any big preferences when it comes to recommendations. I've merely iterated that it's wise to select a rig that suits your needs.

I get the impression that you've got very little, if any, real experience diving some of the rigs your 'talking fact' about. It shows....

The latest generations of sidemount rig are transcending the old steel/aluminium optimization divide. The XDeep Stealth Tec, DiveRite Nomad LS, Apeks WSX25/45, Hollis Katana ... . all those current-generation BCDs are much more unilateral and effective whatever tank choice you prefer.

I won't really comment on the German sidemount scene.... my only observations on it are yourself, Razoristia and some hilarious viral pics of people churning around in ill-modified BP&W 'rigs' having a taco'ed-wing frenzy.

It seems a quite insular and very out-of-touch with regards high level, global sidemount usage and trends. I'm sure I'm wrong... but I just don't see German sidemount diving represented well here on Scubaboard.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom