Holy Sticker Shock !!! Sheck Exley book prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given it's a website, it's also possible that it's an error. Send them an email...

I looked at a book last year that was listed a $126 or something, which I couldn't rationalize. One email, and i learned it was actually $26.

In my spare time, I help run a small, independent publishing house and we have seen so many strange price schemes from on-line book retailers. As brick and mortar bookstores have been declining, the distribution channels on-line have become a labyrinth of virtual warehousers, middle-men, print on demand companies, direct retailers, brokers, pirates etc. Our authors sometimes find their books for sale in on-line retailers that they never heard selling for wild prices that range from one penny for a new copy to tens of thousands of dollars for used copies.

Part of what’s happening is that some on-line retailers have computerized pricing algorithms which use some mysterious formula based on the Amazon price. In some cases, a retailer adds titles to their offerings that they can’t easily get so they price it such that no one will buy it (sometimes this process is also automated.)
The digital press revolution has produced some very strange things in the book world but it has also given us new capabilities. If you know of any out of print scuba books that are in public domain (over 70 years out of copy right) or if you own a copyright for an out-of-print or back-listed scuba book that you would like to see re-published, send me a PM. We might be able to resurrect it and make it available through Amazon.

If you know of any out of print scuba books that are in public domain (over 70 years out of copy right) --- We might be able to resurrect it and make it available through Amazon.

Hmm... assuming there is a 70+ year-old book on scuba diving, I wonder what info it might contain.

Would be an interesting, albeit short read.
Likely loaded with false information being address as facts.
I would still be interested in such a thing. :)

I found "Caverns" to be a very interesting read. I could not hardly put the book down,... "Basic Cave Diving" was also interesting with the accident analysis.... "Taming", however was very dry. Lots & lots of stats,..which I am not really into, personally. I got my copies a few years ago & paid nowhere near what is shown in the OP's post. Another place to check is the NSS- CDS & Possibly the NACD.

Thanks folks...especially Chug....bought everything I was looking for at half.com - at prices that were a bit more reasonable....

I hadn't checked back on this thread in a while, but appreciate the good advice and info...the idea of mispricing by algorithm was particularly interesting.

With a lot of the out of print books I've been looking for I've found that patience is the key. Just keep looking and eventually what you're looking for will pop up somewhere at a reasonable price. Half.com is new to me, but thriftbooks.com and sometimes eBay will produce results.

Thanks folks...especially Chug....bought everything I was looking for at half.com........

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......
Talk is cheap.
You owe me a beer and I am on vacation until December 26th.
Fortunately for you I will be knocking around FTL a few times this week.
LOL.

Chug
Bibliophile.

True. I'll even pop for an imported brew.

After all, you saved me $4110.00!

PM me when you'll be in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom