HomeDepot Finger Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klauricella

Contributor
Reaction score
I was at the store today and saw some plumbing floor flanges and thought that they looked like half a finger spool. Bought two 1/2" flanges and a close nipple (about $6) and I have a heavy duty spool. You could probably run this over with a truck. The bad thing was that they only had them in black pipe and the inside lip was a little sharp. Counter sunk the inside painted the outside and we shall see how it holds up. Found brass flanges on the internet which would be alot nicer also found SS but really expensive.

Sounds like it might be too heavy to dance nicely as the bag ascends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you making a finger spool or a anchor weight?

Always cool trying to build your own stuff. The problem is you still need to purchase line and a double ender. Often you can find spools for less than what it costs to build them. Piranha Dive Manufacturing

I have seen stainless spools and reels before. Never saw the point but agree making your own stuff is a great thing.

I use a stainless spool. The only benefit is it is smaller and takes up less space then my delrin one, since my pockets are too small. The downfall to stainless is it is really negative. Don't drop it on a safety stop.

I have found a way to break and crack every unbreakable plastic spool on the market. Diving daily on and off boats and beach dives is tough on gear and the DSS stainless spools are the only ones I have had hold up to the task. Most people do just fine with delrin. I also find in salt water that the stainless spool will spin in nicely when the bag is going up but then will start to drop.

There is one more benefit to the stainless spool over "most" other spools. It has a larger center which allows my dry gloves finger to easily fit in. I do believe there is also a Halcyon or similar spool designed for cold water divers that has a larger center for your gloved finger.

Delrin works great for most people, and is very cost effective.

Went out today and tried out spool. Works good, hooked up to small lift bag and the string played out with no problems, the extra weight almost makes it seems more stable. The center hole is small but you just need to pinch sides lightly for it to spin. Also did manage to drop it and it never stopped playing out line even when it hit bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom