Homemade backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found some blueprints on the MSN divelight group. They call for 1/8 stainless. Will this be thick enough? Also the size is 11 1/4 x 15 3/4. Is this about a normal size for the backplate?

Thanks
Omni

Omni:
I found some blueprints on the MSN divelight group. They call for 1/8 stainless. Will this be thick enough? Also the size is 11 1/4 x 15 3/4. Is this about a normal size for the backplate?

Thanks
Omni

Omni,

I make backplates. You probably won't find "1/8", you will find "11 gauge" 11ga is about .115" thick.

A 11.25 x 15.75 x 11 ga plate will weigh about 6 lbs. so if this is the weight your looking for it's thick enough. Strenght is not the issue, weight is.

Have you ever worked with SS? It's no fun. Make sure all your cutting tools are run slowly and use coolant.

How do you plan to bend your plate? We use a 100 Ton press:D

Good Luck,

Tobin George

I have a friend with a 12 foot sheetmetal brake. It will bend 1/4 mild steel so I hope it will bend 1/8 stainless. :)

Omni:
I have a friend with a 12 foot sheetmetal brake. It will bend 1/4 mild steel so I hope it will bend 1/8 stainless. :)

A 12' brake that bends 1/4 mild is a monster, it will likely not even know your 15 3/4 piece of 11 ga is even in the machine:D

Good luck,

Tobin

Yep it is huge. The counter weights alone weigh about half of what I do. :11: When I get this done I will post a pic. Now all I have to do is visit the scrap yard so I can hopefully get a piece of S.S. for less than $20.00

Omni,

If you find the material and have the time to make another one I'd be happy to pay you for your time and trouble if you could make one for me as well. I've been wanting to buy a SS BP for use with my single tanks on recreational dives as my AL BP is to light, not to mention I'm tired of switching everything around when I go from doubles and a large wing to singles and a smaller wing.

Thanks in advance and if you can't manage it don't worry I'll just buy one off Ebay sometime.

I will see what I can do. I dont figure on getting this done untill next spring. The main hinge for this project is finding the Stainless cheap enough. If I buy it new off the net the blank ends up costing more than a completed plate off of e-bay. Thier is a scrap yard a few towns over that sells Stainless by the pound. Hopefully I can get lucky and find two good chunks.

I can see what I can find around my area for scrap. I know of several scrap yards near by but I don't know exactly what they sell.

I'll keep you posted.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom