Homemade Video HID Light Diffuser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, got a slight dilemma... Bought a Salvo 21W HID, but unfortunately I had bought a model which doesn't allow me to switch the standard reflector to the Salvo video reflector. This particular HID model has an enclosed lens/ reflector. I came across a used u/w video camera package which I may buy soon. Would something as simple as a milk container cutout placed in front of the HID lens work to diffuse the light and lesson the bright spot. The Salvo is a great dive light, but even with the adjustable focus set to flood, the beam still looks like it might be too concentrated. Any other alternatives, whether readymade diffusers or DIY stuff?:06:

I would think that a milk carton cutout would be way too thick for it to diffuse properly and get any light out of it. You might want to use a diffusing gel which you could place inside the light assuming it doesn't burn too hot and melt the thing. UK provides in the light diffusers for their cannons. You might just want to buy some of them and try it. They worked pretty well when I was using those lights-Steve Douglas

whoops, didn't mean a paper milk carton :wink:, but one those US style opaque plastic milk jugs... :)

oh hey steve, small world. I'm the one who emailed you on that TRV900 package you had listed for sale...

Well I was just playing around at home and found that either a translucent plastic bag or tupperware top seems to nicely remove the bright spot. Not familiar with the gel you mention, but I don't want a permanently placed diffuser as this HID light is also my primary light. plus as you mentioned, I'd be concern about putting any gel inside near a hot HID bulb...

Actually I was thinking of the diffusers that come with the light cannons. something like that would do well. Just wondering if one could be made from some household products or from a quick visit to a hardware shop.

Do you get Pringles in the USA ??? The end caps are perfect for protecting my Salvo head and they are slightly opaque - possible diffuser ?????

Barring that, I have seen an article on digital diver about using crinckled up foil around the reflector

Kirky:
Do you get Pringles in the USA ??? The end caps are perfect for protecting my Salvo head and they are slightly opaque - possible diffuser ?????

Barring that, I have seen an article on digital diver about using crinckled up foil around the reflector

pringles top! excellent suggestion... and I was nibbling on some pringles on our club dive last Sun! will have to get some more pringles for this weekend...

yeah I thought of trying the foil trick, but the problem is the particular Salvo head I have, the reflector is fully enclosed with only a small opening for the HID bulb... so it would be really a PITAS to put one in all the time. that is why I would prefer a quick n easy solution of putting something on top of the lens glass.

thanks scubacastor - I'll try to head over to a camera shop and look around to see if they might have some cheap lumidyne diffusers that could be attached to the HID head - maybe something like that 2stop cloudy diffuser.

Hey Pakman,
Why mess around with that stuff? The diffusers that come with the UK cannons are so cheap and are a proven entity. Just get a few of those. Some put 2 of them in each cannon and others use one. Since I don't know your lights or how much of a bright spot they have, order 5 or 6 so you can experiment as well as have some extras. Heck, come to San Diego and I'll give you some for free.
By the way, I still have that 900 system FS. Also a bunch of shooters are going with us to Bali and Komodo in 07 on a liveaboard, I think there are about 7 spots left if you're interested in joining us.
Good to hear from you-Steve:14:

yeah, I'm gonna check to see if my colleague at work/ dive buddy still has his light cannon diffusers around and test it out this weekend in the water.

still debating the 900... sent you an email with some more questions on your set. Meanwhile, I'm trying to do some research online but I'm starting to get the HDV bug... that Sony HC-1 looks tempting. maybe with an amphibico or gates housing... ooh, there goes the money from my rebreather fund... :wink:

pakman:
that Sony HC-1 looks tempting. maybe with an amphibico or gates housing... ooh, there goes the money from my rebreather fund... :wink:

or more like your small japanese 4-door sedan fund!

meekal:
or more like your small japanese 4-door sedan fund!

LOL... naw no need here for a small sedan... a 50' HDTV LCD flatscreen tv would be nice though...:D

Back
Top Bottom