Honest Answer only: What DONT You like about the BP/Wings Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
Now this guy is the nitrox master...if only I could get that many stickers!

OK, is it just me or does that picture make diving not look like fun anymore?

Marc :jester:

JamesK once bubbled...
Useless Junk! You want to see useless junk. You also get a lesson in drag in this picture. This is how NOT to streamline your gear.

For these and more fun pictures, click http://www.frogkick.nl/diw-parade.htm

Also look here for more of the same. :wink:

Marc :jester:

this is probably going to go off topic, but anyway...
after 193 dives in a regular BCD, i DIY'ed a BP/wings setup and went for a dive on saturday. i was diving a single steel tank.
now i reckon i have got pretty good buoyancy and got my trim just right even in a poodle jacket.
everything felt OK using the BP, apart from the shoulder straps being too loose. i did find however that my feet started floating to the surface. so why, after having good buoyancy, did it all go to sh!t??? being a stroke, will ankle weights sort this out, or is it just a case of re-learning the subtle nuances of BP buoyancy control and trim.
i was banging my head on the tank so moved my STA down 2 inches. i suppose this will stop hitting my head, as well as shift some weight towards my feet. (??) what do u guys think?

there wasnt much else that i could fault the system with, apart from the ignorance from my group, calling it "the Incredible Flying Machine". i kinda like that name!
i found it easy to gear up and really enjoy floating on my back at the end of the dive.

JP

Reefraff made some good points. I agree with him on how a bp/wing can be a pain in the butt to carry if you have a long walk.

Recently at a vacation resort, I had a nice 1/2 mile hike from my bungalow to the reception area where the dive shop van would pick us up. Lugging the bp/harness back and forth everyday quickly got old and I ended up storing the setup in my dive buddy's bungalow, which was a lot closer. The issue wasn't the weight so much as it was a little awkward to carry.

Perhaps FredT has the answer with his big carry handles on the bp. I'm definitely considering his stuff when I get in the market for another bp.

By the way, yes I was the only one diving a bp/wing/long hose setup. The setup totally confused one of the divemasters, who couldn't grasp the concept that I was already 6 lbs negative with the bp and that I didn't need any more weight. Guess he was used to adding weight to compensate for positive bc's ... who knows.

But my complaints are a nitpick. There's no way I would go back to diving bc's. :D

nicodaemos once bubbled...
Reefraff made some good points. I agree with him on how a bp/wing can be a pain in the butt to carry if you have a long walk.

Recently at a vacation resort, I had a nice 1/2 mile hike from my bungalow to the reception area where the dive shop van would pick us up. Lugging the bp/harness back and forth everyday quickly got old and I ended up storing the setup in my dive buddy's bungalow, which was a lot closer. The issue wasn't the weight so much as it was a little awkward to carry.

Perhaps FredT has the answer with his big carry handles on the bp. I'm definitely considering his stuff when I get in the market for another bp.

By the way, yes I was the only one diving a bp/wing/long hose setup. The setup totally confused one of the divemasters, who couldn't grasp the concept that I was already 6 lbs negative with the bp and that I didn't need any more weight. Guess he was used to adding weight to compensate for positive bc's ... who knows.

But my complaints are a nitpick. There's no way I would go back to diving bc's. :D

Nico_

I can't count the number of times that I've been on a boat and the divemaster has asked me the same question-"You sure you don't want some weight?" I took 2 lbs once just to make one DM feel better! (She was cute-what can I say?!!):eek:ut:

I leave for a couple of days and wow! Where did those crazy pictures come from? Are those people still alive?

Hey, that's Jim Bowden in one of those pictures! Looks like a picture taken while suiting up to do something that nobody had ever done before. Perhaps the donkeys but who posted the picture would like to explain to us the propper way to rig for a dive to 925 feet.

And BTW sump divers love head mounted lights and for good reason.

Mike,

Which one is Jim Bowden? Anyways, to defend myself on why I put those pictures up.

The first one I placed up was because of the colors. Someone made a comment about colors, and that was the most colorful diver I have seen. :D

The second one I is prety much self explantory. I mean look at that kit. He even has weight added to his stages! Not too mention the hoses hanging 3 feet below him.

The link to all of the pictures was just for fun! :D

As for sump divers and helmet lights, that is fine, I just can not stand them personally. I have tried, but do not like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom