Honeymoon in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It looks as though my fiance' and I will be honeymooning in Bonaire in June at Buddy Dive. Looks like a super place, and every thing I have read on here seems like everyone has nothing but positive things to say about the place. Has anyone had a less than spectacular time there? Now i know some have complained about the night life, but that is not important to us as we are not really bar flies.

Anyone have any travel tips? This will be our first time out of the country so besides a passport is there anything spcial i need to remember?

Most of the time I find making a travel list helps: 1 for personal stuff (clothing, medicines, etc.) and 1 for dive gear.

Since there were 4 of us there last time (and will be 6 next March) we brought our own frozen meat(s) packaged in dry ice. Although there are several supermarkets on the island, it IS an island, which means they don't always have the selection you'd like or have run out and the next shipment is not due till later in the week.

BTW, you MUST try some of the ice cream at Lovers; the mango is esp out of this world! :)

Relax & have fun.

~SubMariner~

thanks for Ice Cream recomendation. Sounds like a must do treat. BTW, wonderful pictures on your homepage.

Loved Bonaire and they take protecting their reef seriously. It's the only place I've been where divers are asked to demo their skills to an instructor before being allowed to dive.
I stayed at the Plaza resort which was quite nice with huge rooms. Can't say anything about Buddy's.
Enjoy!

Bonaire will be great for your honeymoon, especially if you are avid divers. That would probably be my choice as well (if only I could find my permanent dive buddy *sigh*.) I've been to Bonaire seven times and have always had an amazing time. While I've never stayed at Buddy Dive, I have heard great things about that operation. A passport is not necessary to travel to Bonaire (however, I'd recommend it.) All you need is your birth certificate and drivers license.

Bonaire is a marine park so you will have to pay a fee (I think it's currently $10) for a year-long tag. I believe all dive operators require a "check-out" dive after orientation, usually right out front at their "house reef", just to make sure your equipment is functioning correctly. I've never had to do this dive with an instructor....I've always done it with my own travel buddy.

As far as nightlife, your choices are minimum.....but what you will find are places (Kontiki one of my faves) with music and dance nights that will reflect the local flavor. It's a very relaxing island....oh, BTW, most places will take US currency too! Have fun and have an Amstel!

Other tidbits, occasionally there will be car break-ins at dive sites...since much of the sites are shore dives, you may be renting a car to get to them. What I would recommend is that you leave your cash and valuables at your condo. Leave your car doors unlocked and windows rolled down.....this usually deters theives as they'll think that there's nothing of value in the car. And even if they do go through the car, at least they're not doing so through a broken window, which you would be responsible for! Last thing for now.....if you haven't booked your flight yet, I HIGHLY recommend Air Jamaica! They've been the best for us thus far!

Thanks for the wonderful tips scubagrl, I am really looking forward to the trip. Actually both of us are ready to go right now. We both love to dive, but both have very little experience and no shore diving experience. IS it possible to hire a guide so to speak for athe first couple of dive? Well then may not be that much of an issue, because we might do our nitrox certifications while we are there.

As far as getting there we plan to fly American because here family has a very large number of award miles and free airfare is always nice. Anyone had experience with flying American to Bonaire?

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
Thanks for the wonderful tips scubagrl, I am really looking forward to the trip. Actually both of us are ready to go right now. We both love to dive, but both have very little experience and no shore diving experience. IS it possible to hire a guide so to speak for athe first couple of dive? Well then may not be that much of an issue, because we might do our nitrox certifications while we are there.

As far as getting there we plan to fly American because here family has a very large number of award miles and free airfare is always nice. Anyone had experience with flying American to Bonaire?

The only bad thing about flying AA is that you arrive late... around 8pm, I think. And then you leave early (7am?) and need to be at the airport early... I've heard 5am, because AA was checking all luggage by hand (at least they were in March).... lots of people in march were missing flights because of overbooking. I've heard from several people that luggage was delayed a day or so because of weight restrictions on the smaller plane from Puerto Rico to Bonaire. So I would make sure to carry on regs, computers, masks... then if you end up waiting for luggage, you can still dive with most of your own stuff and rent fins, ect.

As far as a guide... you can probably do a ton of dives on the house reef at Buddy's.... gear up and jump in... the reefs are very close to shore. I can understand some aprehension if you've never shore dove before, but the reef system in Bonaire is very easy to navigate. The reefs run pretty much parallel to shore (with a double reef south of the airport), so you swim out to the reef... drop down to the depth you want and swim one way or the other (against the current to begin, if there is one). When you reach your turn, move shallower and swim the opposite direction. Some of the sites to the extreme south or north end of the island are more susceptible to currents... there is an excellent book on Bonaire shore dives... available locally. You can always hire a dm from buddy dive for a day and then you'll see that you'll probably be ok on your own.

You'll have to listen to a lecture before you can dive, and then do a 'checkout' dive at the house reef. They basically tell you to go dive and check your weighting. 10.00 for the tag, as mentioned.

No gloves allowed, except on the Hilma Hooker shipwreck.

As mentioned, don't lock your vehicles at the shore dive sites. The theft problem is blown way out of proportion. I think it's because everyone expects that they are in paradise, and there should be no problems. Let's face it... you don't leave valuables in your vehicle at home, so why do it on Bonaire? Use some common sense. This isn't a big city, but there can be crime anywhere. You will NOT find street vendors on Bonaire. It is safe to walk around at night. I've heard that they are starting to have some drug problems, but it is as safe as any small town in america.

Our favorite place to eat was the Swiss Chalet. It's a little hard to find, since it's not downtown... walk south thru town and take a left at the post office. It's a couple blocks on the right.

You can find internet service at the Cafe Detuin in town... couple bucks an hour. We found a deal on a car phone rental thru Hertz... free phone rental and just had to buy a calling card. Ended up to be around .40/minute to call the US vs. a couple bucks per minute from the hotel.

If you haven't found it already... try www.bonairetalk.com for much more info.
Ken

You will love the island. I have stayed at Buddy's the last 3 years (June this year) and love the place. The dive shop is first class, the rest is good and the staff are really helpful. They have the best check-in of any place I have stayed. You are taken directly to your room, shown some paperwork to fill out and ask you to come to the frount desk in an hour or 2, no hurry. No lines to wait in. If you have not gotten the package, the "Dive and Drive" package is hard to beat. The room, a rental truck, breakfast and all the tanks you can stand for one price. The breakfast is a full buffet, including a lady that makes omelets to order. We drop the boat dives from the package. It saves us $100pp and we actually prefer to shore dive anyway. I would also suggest that you not get any meal plan except for the breakfast. There are so many good places on the island to eat, you don't want to be limited to the resort.
One thing that you WILL WANT is hard soled dive booties. The shore line is mostly coral rubble and iron stone, it's very hard on the feet. Raxafarian has pretty well described the shore diving. The book he refers to is "Bonaire Diving made Easy" or something very close to that. It is a paperback and sells for $10, a very worthwhile investment. Almost all the dive shops sell it.

Lovers Ice Cream is good (and a short walk from Buddy's) BUT if you want some totally different tasting ice cream, find Prisca's Ice Cream in Rincon. Yummy.

If you stop by the Tourist info station, they have a free road map of the island that is very useful.

One last travel tip, in a restaurant it is considered impolite to just plop the check down on your table. YOU need to request it. The best way is to get the waiter's attention and sign that you want the check by pretending to write on your palm.

Drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.

herman once bubbled...
One last travel tip, in a restaurant it is considered impolite to just plop the check down on your table. YOU need to request it. The best way is to get the waiter's attention and sign that you want the check by pretending to write on your palm.

This is very true. They are not being rude by seemingly ignoring you for a period of time... just the 'european' influence. We've had several dinners that lasted 2 hrs or so. Relax, you're on vacation!

Not sure about hiring a dive guide, but if you experience apprehension just jump on a dive boat at Buddy's. Each boat has a captain and dive master and you can just request to tag along with the DM on the dive. Often they are able to locate things on the dives that you may not be able to as well, and are familiar with the location of the boat moorings in case you are concerned about navigating back to the boat. Also, I recommend you do some boat dives because that is the only way you'll be able to enjoy the Klein Bonaire divesites.

Back
Top Bottom