Hong Kong area diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turbo, not sure if you're in HK already. I just got back last evening from a 2 day camping/ diving trip that my dive club organized. We had unusually clear viz (10-15m) this weekend (very rare in HK). Had some great dives near the mainland China border at a dive site called Breaker Reef (near Tap Mun island). We were fortunate enough to see a large barracuda, octopi, nudibranches, stone fish, file fish, the usual anemone fish, some nice butterflies, and sweetlips. Sunday dive, we had an amazing dive where me and my buddy were surrounded by a school of 20+ large fusiliers (at least 1m long each). Absolutely fabulous. They just kept coming back and would circle us almost within arms reach. I guess they were following us cuz our bubbles were stirring up the bait fish. Anyways, that had to be one of the best dives I've had so far in HK. Weather was also perfect for our full moon camp and BBQ.

Turbo][:
I like to find out if anyone can recommend a group or boat or club I can get in contact with to dive in Hong Kong area. I will be in HK around Mid-Oct.

Thanks!

Johnny

Hello, Turbo.

I just want to let you know that Ocean Sky in having a weekday dive on 12 Oct Thursday in case you are in Hong Kong and interested. As from Pakman, the water condition in HK is at its best.:eyebrow: O C might have weekday dives for the next few weeks, please call they from time to time for the latest schedule. 2366-3738 Hope you will have a wonderful time in Hong Kong.:)

pakman:
Turbo, not sure if you're in HK already. I just got back last evening from a 2 day camping/ diving trip that my dive club organized. We had unusually clear viz (10-15m) this weekend (very rare in HK). Had some great dives near the mainland China border at a dive site called Breaker Reef (near Tap Mun island). We were fortunate enough to see a large barracuda, octopi, nudibranches, stone fish, file fish, the usual anemone fish, some nice butterflies, and sweetlips. Sunday dive, we had an amazing dive where me and my buddy were surrounded by a school of 20+ large fusiliers (at least 1m long each). Absolutely fabulous. They just kept coming back and would circle us almost within arms reach. I guess they were following us cuz our bubbles were stirring up the bait fish. Anyways, that had to be one of the best dives I've had so far in HK. Weather was also perfect for our full moon camp and BBQ.
Sound impressive dude, viz 10-15m:popcorn:

Hi Guys! I've always wondered what diving in HK would be like. I heard that it was only slightly better than where I'm at because of all the shipping activity and that theres tons of diving gear selling quite cheap in comparison! Is it difficult to find my way around to the dive clubs and shops?

goodeatsfan:
Hi Guys! I've always wondered what diving in HK would be like. I heard that it was only slightly better than where I'm at because of all the shipping activity and that theres tons of diving gear selling quite cheap in comparison! Is it difficult to find my way around to the dive clubs and shops?

I can't compare it to Singapore as I've never been diving there. As for Hong Kong diving, if you approach it with little expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've got diving friends in HK who absolutely refuse to dive here. They're the "if its not Palau, Sipidan, Maldives, [insert any world class diving spot here]" we're not gonna waste our time diving. Granted HK is nowhere near those world class dive spots.

However, for those of us living here, its a great way to keep our skills sharp, and once in awhile like last weekend, we'll get a nice treat with some 10m+ viz. On average, the diving here is shallow (usually 10m or less), maybe patches of coral, silty bottom, poor vis, a few small fish, rays, sea urchins, and anemone fish. The Hong Kong waters have been overfished and polluted and the government has done very little until recently to protect some of the sites. That being said, there is a growing effort to nurture some of the underwater sanctuaries around Hong Kong.

As for going diving, most dive shops will run weekend boats. While knowing cantonese would help, some of the shops will have English speaking staff. I know of one shop run by an Aussie and another that has an english speaking European instructor. Also there a number of dive clubs that are largely BSAC clubs but are a good mix of locals and expats. I think the # of dives will slow down as the water starts to cool down now, but then that's when the vis starts to get better. If you like to brave semi-dry conditions in Dec-March (15-17c), you'll find the vis in general is much better than the summer.

Hiya Pakman, Thanks for the headsup. The visibility of local waters in singapore on a good day averages 4m give or take. It's bad..... but it has it distinct advantages. I do speak and understand some cantonese, my family's part cantonese, but if I tried to speak to hongkongers, most would fall flat on their faces laughing..... :D I'll read up a little more before deciding if I'll take my gear when I head there! Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom