Honolulu Diving in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I expect to be in Honolulu (staying in the Pearl Harbour area?) for a week or two in January. I'd like to get in some diving while I'm there.

Please recommend a dive boat and/or dive sites that I should check into.

I'll be bringing my own gear except for suit, tanks, and weights. What will the water temperature be at this time of year?

Thanks!

Water temps should be in the mid to upper 70's. Are you Navy? If you are in the Pearl area there is Ocean Concepts. I have also dove with Dive Oahu and South Seas and like diving with both. South and west shore wrecks and shore diving should be good OK, other shores have to check the surf report.
If you check the insider info thread there is a ton of info in there.
I should be around in Jan so if you want to dive PM me.

okamiotoko2004:
Water temps should be in the mid to upper 70's. Are you Navy? If you are in the Pearl area there is Ocean Concepts. I have also dove with Dive Oahu and South Seas and like diving with both. South and west shore wrecks and shore diving should be good OK, other shores have to check the surf report.
If you check the insider info thread there is a ton of info in there.
I should be around in Jan so if you want to dive PM me.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a 5mm should do the trick. (I like to be warm.) Not Navy, but will be there on Navy business. What's the insider info thread?

Hi Daryl,
Don't miss the great dives in Maunalua bay: my favorite dives are Spitting Caves and the entire China Wall drift, ocean conditions permitting. Most operators have informative websites, like these. I have a photography site that has mostly local images, so that should give you a feel for the highlights. Enjoy Oahu diving, it is underrated in my view. Like everywhere else, conditions make the difference and we have had rain lately but it is due out of here any time now. Five mil a perfect choice this time of year,-- even bring that hood.

I'll be arriving on Sunday January 15th and returning on Saturday January 21st. Unfortunately, my day job is going to make it impossible for me to go diving during the day, but if someone could provide suggestions about night diving, I'd really appreciate it. Are there any boats that regularly go out for night dives during the week? I'll need to rent a wetsuit, tanks and weights, but I've got all the other gear.

Call Island Divers on Pearl, they did night dives a couple nights a week when I was there and had a good staff.

I just finished a dive trip to Oahu, with Pacific Paradise Divers. www.pacificparadisedivers.com I really liked those folks.

I had a fantastic night dive with them to the China Wall and a nearby reef. We dove off the Nori Z, out of Ala Moana harbor.

They offer pick-up services, provide equipment as needed (I also brought my own gear, they provided a wetsuit), and are expert guides.

Our water temps were 77-78 F. on every dive. I used a 3ml, but would have been a bit less chilled in a 5ml.

Have a great trip!

Steve

IDH on Hickam or pacific paradise are my two choices (with Pacific being first). Majority of the dive shops will pick you up in Waikiki not Pearl Harbor or surrounding area. They want you to be in Waikiki or meet at the dive shop. Pacific is more apt to let you dive longer. Good luck.

wow, Missy, you are brave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom