Hood face seal trimming, any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a new hood that needs some face seal trimming. Last time I did this (on a previous hood) I did a terrible job. Any tips on how to trim it so that it looks nice and smooth and even afterwards?

Two comments to add to Spectrums post (Only because I followed those very helpfull instructions not too long ago):

I found it easier to have my wife make the markings for me, if you can have someone do it. I also found that if you insert a piece of wood in the hood and use a razor, penknife, scalpel or something of that nature to make the cut-out it comes a little cleaner than with a scissor. I started with a scissor but swithed to a modeling pen knife with fresh blade which made a much cleaner cut in the neoprene.

Good luck!

Everything they said plus one more. I bought an inexpensive fabric cutter wheel. It is about 3/4" diamiter on a handle and rolls as you cut. Put a "no-cut" board under the section you're cutting and roll away. It cuts 7mil perfectly.

Do you always trim a hood?
I'm trying to decide whether or not to trim the hood on my new 7mm suit.
I haven't worn a hood before.. I've avoided cold water..
I've traced the outline and it looks like I'll cut a good inch or more which kind of scares me..

RV

You do not HAVE to trim a hood if it fits well. The problem usually is that you cannot get the mask skirt against your face when wearing a pair of gloves. If you can put the hood on, and then easily don your mask and get a good seal while you are wearing thick gloves then there is no need to trim the hood. However if the mask covers the hood by nearly an inch you are going to have to pull all that material up around the mask skirt to get a good seel against your face so you probably DO need to trim it.

The other option is to just leave it assuming that your mask is not going to get knocked off under water and that on the rare circumstances that it does you can hold it in place clearing it while you abort your dive because you cant get it back on properly.

If the marks look like you are going to be cutting to much material, maybe you would be. Try cutting a little less 1/4" inside the line first and see if that works for you.

I don't like the feeling of having too much hood around my face (the chin part always seems to come up too high on new hoods for me) and I like to decrease the chance that my mask will sit on top of my hood (and leak), so I always trim the hoods I buy. Once I own the hood I out it on, then put my mask on ON TOP. I use one of my kids crayons to draw the outline of the mask shape, then simply cut along the line (maybe a eighth inch larger). My mask and hood always work well together after than.

The link to the previous post won't work for me, and I do have to trim my hood back. Can you re-post, please?

Back
Top Bottom