Hood Question? Bib or Bibless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the comments, I may try to go a size bigger. I really don't dive that much (once a year), let alone dive with a hood, so I may just have to suck it up and stay shallow for the 1 time ever 3 years I dive in cold water. ha ha

What's a bib?

My 1/4" hood (7 mm) doesn't have anything that I would call a bib, it just goes over my head and down my neck. It doesn't tuck in anywhere. I added a piece on the back so it covers all of my neck. It's a PITA to get it on and off (this thing is about 48 years old and they didn't make very stretchy neoprene back then). I did a little trimming on it when I first got it so it comes down around my chin but not over onto the front of my chin plus my mask fits the opening just right. It's somewhat uncomfortable out of the water but once I'm in the water I don't notice it. The coldest water I dive in is the low 50s so something with a bib that tucks into the wetsuit might be better for colder water but it sounds uncomfortable to me. Perhaps if the neck area was only 1/8" (3 mm) it might be better. In any case my head never gets cold and I've never felt a need to get a better hood. WE have spent a lot of time together and either it has conformed to the shape of my head or vice versa. It's blue on one side and black on the other side so when I got a new, black wetsuit I just turned it inside out so I'm still color-coordinated. That is very important if you are doing any photography because most fish are very fashion-conscious and you might not be able to get a good close-up otherwise.

I don't see how you guys can dive in water that cold without a hood. I'd be freezing my brains out.

I have 3 drysuit-style hoods - aka bibless. They all cover my neck and overlap with the top of my wetsuits. I have no interest in one with a bib or a hooded vest. Tucking something into the neck area of a wetsuit seems like a good way to keep the suit from having a good seal, and thus letting more cold water circulate through the suit. A hooded vest just means it's that much harder to take the hood off immediately after getting out and put it on last, right before getting in.

If you tried a hood that was too tight around the neck, maybe try a different brand of hood? They won't all have the exact same dimensions.

Also, if you get one with a zipper up the back, you can leave it unzipped, or just don't zip it down all the way, to keep the neck part not so tight.

I bought the Seasoft Ti Pro 6mm w/zipper a few months ago, per recommendation from @tbone1004 and some others. It is way warmer than the other hoods I have used. And, like I said, the zipper up the back means I can leave the neck area loose, if I want to.

I just bought my first 5mm wet suit,and I'm trying to pick a good warm hood...Do I need Bib or bib-less, that is the question ? When wearing a full wet suit, do you tuck-in that bib under your neck or what...(sounds very restrictive) Silly I know, but I need an answer..

I just bought my first 5mm wet suit,and I'm trying to pick a good warm hood...Do I need Bib or bib-less, that is the question ? When wearing a full wet suit, do you tuck-in that bib under your neck or what...(sounds very restrictive) Silly I know, but I need an answer..

If you only need a 5mm to stay warm I'd go bibless. They are less annoying.

The bib tucks under the wetsuit better insulating the neck by creating a seal.

Cameron

What about hooded jackets? If the hood is attached to the jacket does that reduce the flow of water in and out, or does it increase it? My first thought was that it would be great but now I'm wondering if water gets in past the face opening.

What about hooded jackets? If the hood is attached to the jacket does that reduce the flow of water in and out, or does it increase it? My first thought was that it would be great but now I'm wondering if water gets in past the face opening.

Fitted correctly I suspect they would be good. In my experience, either my heads too fat, my neck too long or my shoulders too wide or chest to shallow to have a hooded jacket not disappoint by not fitting somewhere. A bad fit acts a pump to circulate water.

I hate hoods. My first was too thick and way too tight and the bib was a PITA to get tucked in. I cut it off. Still no joy.

Then I got an Akona 3mm hood sans bib XL size. I love it. It's stretchy, thin and not claustrophobic. I have to pull it away from my head to let water in. If I'm diving really cold (low 40°s at the second thermocline) I wear a 1.5mm beanie underneath.

Back
Top Bottom