hoodsport affected by weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwfellah

Registered
Reaction score
I am in Corvallis, OR and am trying to get a friend from So Cal to dive while she is up here. The weather this week is looking pretty gnarly in OR and WA but we still want to dive. Hoodsport is the closest nice saltwater diving and I want to know how much the weather affects the water there. Any other suggestions on where to go that will be relatively good vis with this nasty weather raging overhead? Is Puget Sound affected much by bad weather?

If its raining you could have limited visibility, if it says cold and freezing you should be ok.

I dove it last Sat (11/26) and the water temp according to my dive computer was 48. We did 2 dives.
Vis was not bad. Had a So Cal guy along and he loved it. Told us he was coming back.
I say get her there and enjoy the dives. The wolfies where abundant and very playful.
Even came across a GPO. My dive buddy dove in his fingerless gloves.

Hoods canal is a very reliable dive location, usually, it has decent vis no matter what the wether conditions are, you may have to get to 40' or so untill it the vis opens up

JUMBO

Well, Call Mike or/and Ron and Hoodsport and dive and ask the conditions....
They will let you know and aren't too far off from the frequent dive site reports...
www.hoodsportndive.com...
360-877-6818...
Happy diving...
K

nwfellah:
Hoodsport is the closest nice saltwater diving and I want to know how much the weather affects the water there. Is Puget Sound affected much by bad weather?

Come on up and go diving! We've dove the Canal when it's snowing, blowing and raining. The weather tends to affect the surface layer, but the viz will be fine below that. For example, when it's snowing hard there may be a layer of slush at the surface (great for that "ice cream" headache), but once you are below the surface layer you'll have an awesome dive.

The same happens when its raining hard. There will be lots of fresh water blurring the top 10 - 15', but below that it will be fine.

There are also a lot of good dive sites in Puget Sound. We just check out which way the weather is blowing and choose a site that is protected from the weather.

Good Luck!

Just be sure to always to take a light, even a small one is worth it to see the colors and to look into holes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom