Hookah question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flapbreaker

Reaction score
I was wondering if a person is hookah diving (surface air supply) no more than 20 feet deep do you have to worry about any of the compression issues associated with scuba? (I have not done scuba before so I didn't know if it mattered how deep you go.)

flapbreaker:
I was wondering if a person is hookah diving (surface air supply) no more than 20 feet deep do you have to worry about any of the compression issues associated with scuba? (I have not done scuba before so I didn't know if it mattered how deep you go.)

COMPRESSION issues, yes. Your middle ears, sinuses, etc. will be squeezed. Equalize early and often.

DE-COMPRESSION issues? Probably not, unless you remain submerged for a VERY long time.

EMBOLISM, etc. can still occur with "hookah" if you hold your breath during the dive ... especially on ascent.

Yes, all the same forces are affecting the diver regardless of the method of air delivery. The same hold true for dry environments such as cofferdams and hyperbaric chambers...

Back
Top Bottom