Horizontal Ascent Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Just started reading about DIR diving, seen people for years with the set up and just figured it was some form of tec diving. Much of it seems logical and many of the skills I have adopted by chance because they just make sense. The “horizontal” position and many of the kicks are pratical and I have used for years, with the exception of on the “horizontal” ascent. I like to see what is above and around me on ascent and this seems hard(er) in a horizontal position. I understand the ascent is very slow but is there a trade off between safety of not seeing objects vs. quick access to equip, buddy, etc??

I had the same thought when I looked at doing these. You may not be able to look directly above you, but you can see above your buddy. One of the tenants of DIR is a team approach and situational awareness. If you are facing your buddy on ascent, you can see what is above them, and they can see above you. I've also been able to turn my head enough to see above me, and if you really need to you can look up while helicopter turning to "clear" the space above you.

my 2 cents.

mjh:
Just started reading about DIR diving, seen people for years with the set up and just figured it was some form of tec diving. Much of it seems logical and many of the skills I have adopted by chance because they just make sense. The “horizontal” position and many of the kicks are pratical and I have used for years, with the exception of on the “horizontal” ascent. I like to see what is above and around me on ascent and this seems hard(er) in a horizontal position. I understand the ascent is very slow but is there a trade off between safety of not seeing objects vs. quick access to equip, buddy, etc??

The main thing to remember is that you want to be in control during the ascent process. By using a horizontal ascent protocol you present the maximum co-efficient of drag to the water colum and thus allows you to be in more control. Moreover, when you position your equipment in the fashion that we recommend you'll notice that on your right arm will be information respecting depth and time [ which is critical information during ascents], you can easily glance down and see the information. Your left hand will then remain free to manipulate your BCD. That is one of the reasons we distribute the equipment the way we do as opposed to putting all the information on a console running off the left side. All the information on the left side then means a diver will use his/her left hand to manipulate the BCD and also to check for information.

A diver in a horizontal ascent position is also in a more proactive position to help a buddy that may be above him, below him, in front of him or behind him. In a vertical ascent position you are in a less efficient position to help and you present a lower co-efficent of drag to the water colum and are thus in less control. Think of how a skydiver flares out when they jump out of a plane.. They flare out to present drag, the same principle applies and moreover what is the recommendation for a diver who has a rather rapid ascent?? They telll you to flare out, so why not just start out horizontal and be in greater control from the outset???

Hope that helps

All makes sense, only situation I could see it being problematic would be when coming up to the boat in the tropics, ascending in those clouds of stinging jellies and you are clearing them with blasts from your reg/octo. I’ll have to give it a try next time out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom