horizontal ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
You’re still missing the point. The suits on all divers were identical and transferred heat away from the divers at the same rate. The insulating gas inside the suits was different, yet the divers cooled at the same rate. There is only one conclusion that can be reached … there is no empirical difference observed between argon and air.

I personally think that the only main conclusion that can reached from this study is that they did not find any substantial measured difference during that particular research study. The workings of human physiology is quite complex, and it takes much more than one study to show anything of substance. Just too many variables in the human physiology to interfere with the research. It does however not negate the value of this study, and hopefully it will be one of many studies that in the future can show a clearer scientific picture. Even with just a smaller gain in "real life" diving insulation capability, Argon would be useful during longer decompression dives, especially in colder waters.

Going back to horizontal ascents and decompression, I think that the difference in compression of the superficial blood vessels when decompressing vertical with a dry suit could be substantial enough to have an impact during dives with longer required decompressions. The combination of increased pressure from both the depth difference (perhaps somewhat minor) in general, but increased suit squeeze due to movement of air from the legs in particular. The lack of air in the legs during vertical deco must in my view have some negative impact at least on the superficial blood circulation in the area. This could negatively affect the off gassing capability in those local tissues. I do not know if any studies has been performed from this particular "angle," but if it has, I would certainly like to read about it. I have not been able to find any, but if someone has, please post a link.

With a horizontal ascent, you would, in my view, decrease the suit squeeze and thereby better maintain good blood circulation. This would both "ventilate" the local tissues better, and also keep the temperature warmer (maintained superficial blood circulation) which potentially also could avoid any negative effects a decreased temperature would create in the affected tissues.

Sincerely

Anders

he was a divemaster I reckon guiding divers who are not DIR trained most probably.. it was nothing serious was just hilarious to see something out of comedy central hehehe.. I use to do this as well but just ascend vertically now on recreational dives especially if Im divemastering a group.. its easier to see and catch everyone especially if they are swimming all around me.. but on technical dives I decompress on vertical trim

Axua:
One guy, the divemaster aparrently, was from the gear config and his position was probably DIR trained.

yes, clearly from the gear config he was a tech2 / cave2 / WKPP mixed gas diver and this one diver is indicative of all DIR divers and their practices...

TSandM:
If I were that diver, I'd have a long debrief with the buddy who was supposed to be watching the space over my head.

You've got to be responsible for your own environmental awareness. If you are diving a fixed boat, you will more than likely not be able to face each other and thus keep an eye above each other. If you bonk your head because you are afraid to drop trim for the last couple feet, it's your own dang fault.

Horizontal ascents are good, but those last few feet when you are coming up, you really need to be looking above you...dropping trim a little is the easiest way to do that. Rolling to the side in a set of doubles is wicked annoying, and potentially dangerous to your buddies who might be on top of you.

lamont:
yes, clearly from the gear config he was a tech2 / cave2 / WKPP mixed gas diver and this one diver is indicative of all DIR divers and their practices...

Since I'm only tech1 and cave1, I should have knocked myself out by now. Wait maybe I did and this whole thread is a dream...

back on horizontal ascents, i just did TWO safety stops with my fins up, head down, maintaining myself at 16ft for 4 minutes on both counts
then i tried the faceup hoz ascent, it freaked them out at first but thene they were just impressed on the second one

diveasr:
back on horizontal ascents, i just did TWO safety stops with my fins up, head down, maintaining myself at 16ft for 4 minutes on both counts
[hijack]Doing an upside down safety stop above a 30' deep reef in Cozumel while drifting in a current was one of the strangest sensations I've ever had while diving. After getting the reversed buoyancy control down (exhale to move more towards my head, inhale to move towards my feet) I starting relaxing and watching the reef drift by. Suddenly, it seems like the reef was above me and there was a shiny seabottom below me. It was like the whole world just flipped upside down. Very, very strange. While I've done other vertical-upside-down safety stops, only one other time did this sensation come back -- it seems that it only comes after a couple of minutes of relaxing, only if there is a current, and only if I'm suspended about halfway between the reef and the surface. [/highjack]

Charlie Allen

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom