Horror stories of exiting a dive on rocks in big surf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason I say exiting is obvious....If you enter in big surf, you deserve to get the S%&t kicked out of ya. That being said, how many poor soots have come up ready to finish their dive only to find the fun only to begin? Surf has picked up during your dive and now you have to SURF on to the rocks to get out. You can sure ride a swell in...crash, bang, ting off the rocks. Then try and hold your ground as the water recedes. Only to be knocked ass over tea kettle by the next wave. Gettin too Old for that kinda crap! :no:
That's why God made boats.
Bill

First rule of dive planning is to work out how or if you can exit.

Getting in is easy, getting out is far trickier. Don't consider getting in unless you KNOW you can safely get out.

Must teach my dog that sometime.

First rule of dive planning is to work out how or if you can exit.

Getting in is easy, getting out is far trickier. Don't consider getting in unless you KNOW you can safely get out.

There is no way anyone can KNOW they can get out. Read my story we had no way of knowing things would get worse. It was a beautiful day conditions could have just as easily improved.

That's why God made boats.
Bill

:rofl3::rofl3:boats aren't always that easy:rofl3::rofl3: slightly off topic I guess but I think the worse exit I had involved a boat! It blew up really nasty during our dive. We surfaced to big swell and breaking waves. Maneuvering to boat to us without hitting us as we got lost to sight in the troughs:shakehead:. Even if they got close ......timing to grab the ladder as it heaved up and down:fear:

The Captain yelled at us to stay put.. *yeah right where were we going to go?* and grab onto the mermaid line the deckhand threw out. Once we managed to get a grip on the line the captain yelled out that he was going to TOW US around the island to try to find a bit of shelter for us to try to board:shocked:

I"m thinking.. "How the heck do I get myself into these situations.. I am too old and brittle for this!" Take it from me.. "Body skiing behind a boat in full scuba gear" will never catch on as a preferred activity!

Anyway we managed to get somewhere a bit better but the ladder was still heaving. The exit was far from pretty but I really didn't care about falling face first onto the bottom of the boat as I scrambled up the ladder. I was seriously considering kissing the deck if I ever managed to board anyway:worship:

We've had a few interesting exits over rocks as well but this post is long enough already:no:

Thanks for the clarification AfterDark. As said you would be an idiot to put yourself in this unsaviorable situation!:shakehead:

There is no way anyone can KNOW they can get out. Read my story we had no way of knowing things would get worse. It was a beautiful day conditions could have just as easily improved.

Thanks for the clarification AfterDark. As said you would be an idiot to put yourself in this unsaviorable situation!:shakehead:

No kidding.. you can check all the forecasts available but you just can't COUNT on them totally. :rofl3:the Meteorologist is the one job .. where if you are correct more than 50% of the time you are the top of your profession:doh:

Bowlofpetunias what a great image of scuba divers being dragged around behind a boat. I haven't faced that type of situation yet.

I've been on one dive boat, a converted naval vessel, with an iron ladder bolted to the side that goes up 15-20ft and slopes outward as you go up. Combine that with the boat moving around in the swell and you get a really fun time.

Who called me an idiot?:gun:

Back
Top Bottom