Horse beating continues: Diver in Cozumel REFUSES to remove gloves and knife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey gang,

At the risk of beating this horse even further, I witnessed something in Cozumel last week that was really kind of baffling.

Diver on my boat was asked twice to remove his gloves and knife because they aren't allowed in the park. He just refuses. No explanation given. He just sat there and stared at the DM and myself.

How much leeway is given here to the DM? Can he not allow the diver in the water over this?

Now for the editorial comment : This guy is an instructor. I certainly would expect an instructor to behave in a much more suitable fashion. You'd think they would try to set a very good example to other divers. Not this guy. He was repeatedly asked to stop grabbing the coral to get his photos. Then again for laying on the coral to get a shot. I just couldn't even be near the guy. It was way too frustrating. I'm one of those divers that feels guilty for poking one finger in the sand to hold a position...

-Charles

The DM can prohibit them from diving. The park service can remove them from the water and if they see fit ban them from future diving in the park.

Hey gang,
Now for the editorial comment : This guy is an instructor. I certainly would expect an instructor to behave in a much more suitable fashion. You'd think they would try to set a very good example to other divers. Not this guy. He was repeatedly asked to stop grabbing the coral to get his photos. Then again for laying on the coral to get a shot. I just couldn't even be near the guy. It was way too frustrating. I'm one of those divers that feels guilty for poking one finger in the sand to hold a position...

-Charles
Just about every time I see this sort of behavior anywhere (not just Cozumel), it's divers who "should know better." I've seen it done by marine biologists, aquarium staff, people working (paid staff and volunteers) with reef conservation groups, instructors... seems to be an attitude that they know what's dead or not and what and how to touch. Even if that's the case, what about setting an example for your fellow divers who might not have your expert knowledge and just stop touching, grabbing, standing, lying where ever you darn well feel like it to get your perfect shots. THE REEF IS NOT YOUR FRIGGIN TRIPOD!!!!!!!

The biologist was the one that really got me worked up. Gloves and all (of course). Literally using reef as a tripod while grabbing on to whatever was near to stabilize himself in the current. Then a few minutes later, standing up at the entrance to a swimthrough to get into the perfect spot for whatever he was shooting. Not only was it just rude when he was the 2nd person in the line, but it was just plain bad diving etiquette, especially in a marine park.

I take photos and shoot video. I can't count how many amazing shots I haven't taken because I refuse to grab, lean, touch, etc. When I see the really spectacular stuff by from places I'm very familiar with, if I don't know the photographer and their diving, I do wonder what if anything died or got damaged for them to get that shot.

Some people should have their cameras taken away. If you don't have the buoyancy skills and/or can't take a shot without using the reef for assistance, then don't take it. (It also gives those of us with better practices a bad name. The sneers you get on some boats when you come onboard with anything more then a point & shoot.... so many divers just expect the person with the decent camera equipment is going to be the PITA of the day.)

THE REEF IS NOT YOUR FRIGGIN TRIPOD!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! I agree with your entire post - but I LOVED this!

Charles - thanks for sharing this! This guy should have been let off the boat and refused service until he agreed to respect the local regulations - regardless of whether he likes or agrees with the rules and regardless of what "certification level" he holds. The DM absolutely has the authority to keep him out of the water.

If he had been diving with me and pulled this crap - you'd probably be seeing a scathing post here about me because I wouldn't have tolerated his attitude and/or sheer lack of respect for the local laws nor his disrespect for the poor DM who was doing his job!

We don't have to agree with, like, or understand the rules - but we DO have to follow them - and as ambassadors of the park, boat owners and park guides - the consequences are NOT worth bending the rules for. Consequences being in the worst case - we could lose our permits and/or the dive guide could lose his/her park credentials. Other consequences are fines, suspensions of permits, etc. one of these are worth the $65 to $75 that diver brings in.

The worst I ever saw was a professional videographer (a well-known name, guy with many DVDs of vacation locations) shooting in the BVI. He left a horrible wake of carnage behind him. Between him thrashing the reef with his fins and laying down on top of fans and sponges to get just the right shot, there was some serious damage left behind.

I wonder what all the photo bugs are going to do if they decide to start banning photography . . .

:popcorn:

I know there are local "laws" but a knife is "mandatory"basic scubagear by most if not all agencies.
And for the gloves,I wear them on allmost all dives,after 80-90 min. of diving my hands get numb.without them.Thermal protection should be used when needed.
I know some (lots) ill trained divers use them to grab the reef.But thats no reason to prohibbit them

I know there are local "laws" but a knife is "mandatory"basic scubagear by most if not all agencies.
And for the gloves,I wear them on allmost all dives,after 80-90 min. of diving my hands get numb.without them.Thermal protection should be used when needed.
I know some (lots) ill trained divers use them to grab the reef.But thats no reason to prohibbit them

I'm assuming that you've never dove in Cozumel.

No, a knife is NOT mandatory scuba gear by ANY agency that I'm aware of...Optional, yes - mandatory - no! And in this environment, not necessary - there are other tools that can be used that serve the same purpose as a knife. Entanglement is not an issue and it's a VERY RARE occasion that you see fishing line or anything that needs to be cut with a knife.

The water here runs an average of 84 degrees F - and most divers aren't diving 80 - 90 minutes. If a diver needs gloves for thermal protection, then I would also expect to see them in a hood and 5 - 7mm suit - not a 3mm shorty!

The issue here was clearly that this "Instructor" was just being a turd!

I'm assuming that you've never dove in Cozumel.

No, a knife is NOT mandatory scuba gear by ANY agency that I'm aware of...Optional, yes - mandatory - no! And in this environment, not necessary - there are other tools that can be used that serve the same purpose as a knife. Entanglement is not an issue and it's a VERY RARE occasion that you see fishing line or anything that needs to be cut with a knife.

The water here runs an average of 84 degrees F - and most divers aren't diving 80 - 90 minutes. If a diver needs gloves for thermal protection, then I would also expect to see them in a hood and 5 - 7mm suit - not a 3mm shorty!

The issue here was clearly that this "Instructor" was just being a turd!

Ocontair, I have been diving Coz. twice and I did get cold ,after 80min.
I don't dive a shorty EVER just a 5mm fullsuit,yes I do get cold easy. And yes knives are basic scubagear by most if not all agencies.
But most say "unless local laws prohibit them."
And I did get snagged in a fishing line at Coz. so I did need that knife.:eyebrow:

And for the turd... yes he was.:D

Ocontair, I have been diving Coz. twice and I did get cold ,after 80min.
I don't dive a shorty EVER just a 5mm fullsuit,yes I do get cold easy. And yes knives are basic scubagear by most if not all agencies.
But most say "unless local laws prohibit them."
And I did get snagged in a fishing line at Coz. so I did need that knife.:eyebrow:

And for the turd... yes he was.:D

Just substitute a pair of shears or a z-knife or something like that, and bam, problem solved. Nobody says your cutting device HAS to be a knife, in fact shears work better on most stuff.

Back
Top Bottom